Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

College?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 01:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default College?

I've just been thinking about everything a lot lately and I really don't know what I want in life. I have no idea what I'm even doing in college.. it doesn't feel like I'm working toward anything.. I'm just postponing my life. I'm thinking of putting college on hold for a while and moving somewhere far away just to get a grip on life. I dunno.. If I do decide to do this I don't even know where to start. I'm selling my car so I'd have plenty of money to get settled in somewhere else (I dunno I figured I'd just foot the bills for the first month in a new place) I just don't feel right where I'm at right now.. and this IS my 3rd college.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:53 AM
Default RE: College?

I'm sorry, well, can you send me your tuition money. I know exactly what I want college to do for my life, but paying for it is really ****ing difficult.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:53 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Not sure what to tell ya bro. I can tell ya jobs out there are thin right now too though. But i never did school, wish i had some good advice for ya [:'(]

Old 10-14-2008, 02:00 AM

ORIGINAL: SpiritRR

I'm sorry, well, can you send me your tuition money. I know exactly what I want college to do for my life, but paying for it is really ****ing difficult.

Man.. my parents are paying for my school.. I just can't do it though. I know I have it in me to succeed esp. since one of my sisters is attending Berkeley and the other is on a full ride through NYU but I just don't know. My brother joined the army and he's gonna get his life on track once he's out.. I know my dad joined the army out of high school cause he had no idea what he wanted to do and it gave him time to mull things over but I can't do that (diff medical reasons). Yeah.. it sucks with jobs being thin right now but I just feel like I'm wasting all of the opportunity my parents have given me and I don't want to keep in college if I'm just going to be eating through the money and making poor grades. School seems pretty pointless w/out direction anyhow. I mean.. screw it I'd move out to ny if I knew that I could even just live for a while.. meet diff people and try to figure **** out.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:41 AM

My advice is to stay in school if you can. If you have no desire to be there, then I understand you not wanting to waste time or money. But, at the very least, you should get all of your core classes out of the way. Get this done, then in a few years if you decide to go for a degree, it will be so much easier to do so, and it wont take as long. as for meeting new people. College has to be about the best place on earth to meet people. Also, try to lighten your work load. If 16 credits are too much, go for 12, or 10. go 2 days a week if thats what you feel you can take. Leave some extra time for yourself. Just try to get your core classes. Trust me, if you ever have a desire for any education later on, this will be the best choice you can make. Also, look into online classes. most of your core classes are online now.

Yes, the job market is horrible right now. there is no sign of it getting better in the near future either. That means you will have major competition for jobs. An education goesalong way for someone without any experience.

If you feel money doesnt really matter, then you will probably be fine. You may luck out and land a good paying job without an education. But those days are coming to an end quick. And, most people that make good money without an education are very dedicated and hard workers, they move up based on merit and who they impress... most of the time anyway.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:42 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You are one lucky guy! You have a car, bike and parents to support you. Don't waste your precious time. Unless you are inherit with massive wealth, proper education will be your key to success in the future. Its not the only way but damn safest way!
I was about thinking same like you when if was 18 and decided to work even I scored good grades in high school A level examination. 2 years of average earning makes me realize and I caught up with my studies and finish up my degree. Sometimes I do regret now for wasting those 2 years.

You need to set your focus straight dude. Time will fly fast and soon you'll be out of your college, recession will be pretty much over and good job will be waiting for you!

Old 10-14-2008, 10:49 AM
Retired Moderator

Izzy,
I didn't make it to a degree, and I wish I would have. Things got in the way at some point(life), and I never went back. I would still like to. I guess it is never too late. You have that opportunity now...before you are married with children and life gets a lot less about you, and more about your family and paying the mortgage. You have an opportunity to do something special, and that is earn a degree. If you quit now, you'll find it hard to go back. To me, a degree says that you have the ability to finish something over the long term, and that is not easy. What is the percentage of college graduates these days? Less and less, I believe. I say, white knuckle your way through it, mix in some fun classes, and realize that you are not spinning your wheels. You are building a foundation for your future, so you don't have to work at some underpaying job with a bunch of morons you hate, and have a boss that isn't qualified the plunge the toilet. I am not saying that you are guaranteed a great life with a college education, nor am I saying you get to write your ticket, but why would you not give yourself all the advantages if youhave them available to you? Third college...selling your car to go all bohemian...stick with it, dude. It will pay dividends in the future.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will tell you what. I moved out of my mom's house at 17 while I was still in high school. I have been working full time to support myself since then. I never went to college, but now I am 23 and went back to college (online) starting last January. Now, I am in my last class before I get my associates and then I am going to start on my bachelors. All this merry time I was thinking, man, I wish I would have just gone to college when I got out of high school, I would be done by now. Furthermore, I dont have anyone paying for my tuition. I owe something like 15-20K in student loans now, which could be skyrocketing right now b/c of the economy. Take advantage of your situation. Youre complacent b/c school sucks, its not supposed to be fun, but you WILL regret it in the end. Man up and finish school. There is a good chance if you dont do it now, you never will. You can say I have a good job, I am a network administrator for small multi-million dollar construction company, and I only make about 30K now. If I had a degree, well, I would be making at least 52K. finish school.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:22 PM

ORIGINAL: thisismyacct

ORIGINAL: SpiritRR

my parents are paying for my school
THIS is your problem. Fix it.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:25 PM

ORIGINAL: rrasco

I will tell you what. I moved out of my mom's house at 17 while I was still in high school. I have been working full time to support myself since then. I never went to college, but now I am 23 and went back to college (online) starting last January. Now, I am in my last class before I get my associates and then I am going to start on my bachelors. All this merry time I was thinking, man, I wish I would have just gone to college when I got out of high school, I would be done by now. Furthermore, I dont have anyone paying for my tuition. I owe something like 15-20K in student loans now, which could be skyrocketing right now b/c of the economy. Take advantage of your situation. Youre complacent b/c school sucks, its not supposed to be fun, but you WILL regret it in the end. Man up and finish school. There is a good chance if you dont do it now, you never will. You can say I have a good job, I am a network administrator for small multi-million dollar construction company, and I only make about 30K now. If I had a degree, well, I would be making at least 52K. finish school.
+1, very good post here. I actually decided to NOT move out and instead I went to get a degree right out of high school, and it was probably the best decision I have ever made. Right out of college (in 06) I got a very good job and have been there since. I'm STILL not doing exactly what i want to do / don't know exactly what I want to do for the rest of my life. But now I have a few years of "professional experience" under my belt, I made some decent money (Enough for my bike and truck and rent and video games and vacations etc. etc. etc.). I plan on going back to college to get my masters so that when the economy gets back in shape I'll be ready to compete for a serious job with serious money. Stick with school, get good grades, you'll figure the rest out in due time.

Quick Reply: College?