Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

chrome or carbon fiber

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 02:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chrome or carbon fiber

well i ordered my fairings only thing i changed is on tail i put my last name. I was wondering if i should carbon fiber it or chrome it i already ordered taylormade exhuast and taylor made undertail. im trying to make show bike that looks awesome lol can you chrome and cf things or is that to much i attached some pics of what it will look like except mines 08 1k

Attached Thumbnails chrome or carbon fiber-cbr600km1.jpg   chrome or carbon fiber-081000rrkonica.jpg  
Old 11-23-2010, 02:19 AM

Carbon fiber but if you're going for a showbike look a OTC fairing kit is not a good start IMO.

Does look nice though

Edit: Chrome screams squidly

Old 11-23-2010, 02:49 AM

ya the kit is sexy and im not paying for a custom job 2g or 700 for fairings then i have two sets easy choice for me

Old 11-23-2010, 08:09 AM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

ide never do chrome (bc i dont feel like adding the extra weight to my bike) your better going polished aluminum (a good polish job is almost just like chrome) vs chrome but if you have the money ide go carbon fiber....

but if your building a "show bike" like stated above your not off to a real good start....

ide go for more of a "race" look with how youve started out.... but thats just my opinion

Last edited by __Z__; 11-23-2010 at 08:40 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by jp_greenville13
Carbon fiber but if you're going for a showbike look a OTC fairing kit is not a good start IMO.

Does look nice though

Edit: Chrome screams squidly
Untill you meet somebody like me and your looking at my brake lights as we hit some twisties. Dont let the chrome fool you on everybody. Chrome does not scream squidly. Chrome was a personal preference had nothing to do with a show piece, on top of that i was able to afford it on a daily non show bike......Maybe you should add the "IMO" on the end of your edited sentence as well....

Moto its about personal preference get what your happy with and only use this topic as others opinion. If you let others decided what you do to your bike you wont be happy a few months down the line....

Old 11-23-2010, 08:22 AM
Official CBRF Decal Man

Originally Posted by pimpncbr954s
Untill you meet somebody like me and your looking at my brake lights as we hit some twisties. Dont let the chrome fool you on everybody. Chrome does not scream squidly. Chrome was a personal preference had nothing to do with a show piece, on top of that i was able to afford it on a daily non show bike......Maybe you should add the "IMO" on the end of your edited sentence as well....
... now now pimpin we know Jp throws out his opinion like they are facts and gets a little carried away with it, but you know we still love him...Jp IMO 'S prevent fights and I got your back but not for the little things and heck I don't even know what squidly means so chit im retarded

Moto its about personal preference get what your happy with and only use this topic as others opinion. If you let others decided what you do to your bike you wont be happy a few months down the line....
+9999999999 this is the only part of this whole thread you will ever have to read IMO because other people may look at your bike but you have to go outside look at it and ride it so you have to make you happy

Old 11-23-2010, 08:51 AM

oh and another reason ide stay away from chrome is because of rust... roads here in Illinois are caked with salt and crap from the previous winter every year and unless you find a place with a EXTREMELY good three layer chrome process (not some cheap chrome) you'll find your chrome pitted and rusting like none other....

i will give chrome props though it requires a little less polishing and cleaning vs aluminum but with polished aluminum you dont run the risk of rust or the added weight

i think the op should realize what labor is required when you have things like chrome or aluminum with cf its pretty much plug and chug until it starts to fade

Old 11-23-2010, 08:54 AM

I rarely try to start anything but one of the dumbest words that can be used IMO is squid. Everyone has a little bit of squid in them but wont admit it and will be very hipocritical. Just like you said i felt like that was a fact that he threw out there with no "IMO". Me having a chromed/polished bike ill quickly speak up about it, yes there is chromed show bikes and their is also factory fresh show bikes. Not all chrome bikes are show pieces as is with factory bikes......Some people say your a squid if you dont wear gear.....at the same time who wrote the rules on what you should wear???? There is not motorcycle guidline manual only opinions......Thats a whole nother subject that i wont go into....but im hoping those that read this can kind of see what direction im going with opinions.....

__Z__, weight?? have you felt a chrome wheel with tire and rotors compared to a factory wheel rotor and tire???? Do you think you would feel the difference while riding???? You know how to combat salt and grim? Spray your parts off....to easy.....

Old 11-23-2010, 09:36 AM

__Z__, weight?? have you felt a chrome wheel with tire and rotors compared to a factory wheel rotor and tire????
well no, but perhaps we should break this down to specifics are we talking a aluminum wheel vs a chrome plated aluminum wheel or, a aluminum wheel compared to a chrome plated steel wheel?

I can tell you now that yes, the chrome weight gain may be slim, but when you start chroming everything yes you would notice a weight difference. Theres a reason race bikes arent chrome, bc its un needed weight

Do you think you would feel the difference while riding????
in small moderation probably not but if everything had a coating (depending on the layers) most likely yes

You know how to combat salt and grim? Spray your parts off....to easy.....
im sorry but i dont feel like washing my bike EVERY day up until mid summer when the roads are finally black instead of white (it takes that long for the salt to wash off here)

and you cant just spray off salt... typically if you say rode your bike to work, let the salt sit while you worked then rode your bike home, the salt wold have dried to your rim and no amount of just spraying will typically take it all off.... salt combined with winter and stuff creates a thin coat of oxidation that needs to be removed with a rag and a good polish in order to keep the chrome from rusting

Last edited by __Z__; 11-23-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:51 AM

op also something you could look into if you dont want the aluminum upkeep or the rust upkeep would be getting your parts powder coated chrome....

its amazing what they can do with powders now adays

Quick Reply: chrome or carbon fiber