Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Choices :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 07:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cookml22
IMO the sti swap would be sick. That being said there are a ton of nice bikes new and used. So I can't help there buy if it was me I would find a nice newer used bike for an ok price and sink a little more into the sti for the upgrades they are known for. But I love the sti's. also on the bike it depends on what you want to spend.
Motor was just rebuild 3,000 miles ago before the car got totaled from the side

Their loss, my gain Car has a vf39 turbo, manley pistons (stock bore) 565 JDM STi injectors, UEL headers, up and down pipes, midpipe, and FMIC plus a nice tune with launch control, anti lag, and nlts. I'll probably tear the motor down over the summer and rebuild it just to make sure she's clean and make sure it'll last. Probably do a few more upgrades to stiffen up the chassis and drivetrain (lots of bushings and upgraded motor/transmission mounts). Having the FMIC helps the sleeper status, no need for a scoop

Then again...I'll be picking up a set of Tein coils, some fender flares, and tinting my car...so maybe it won't be such a sleeper

But on the bike thing, I just have no idea where else to look, I'm really leaning towards the Hyper, but not sure it's the right choice. Gotta look around!

Old 04-08-2013, 10:01 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

okay, then i'll ask you a question that might help you out.

think of a situation on every bike that would have you saying "man, i wish i would have bought ______ instead" which one would let you down the least?

Old 04-08-2013, 11:07 PM

On the sti make sure studs were used and not bolts that's the only thing your list is missing. Lol I could pull out my most wanted bike list and name a few

Old 04-08-2013, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Conrice
okay, then i'll ask you a question that might help you out.

think of a situation on every bike that would have you saying "man, i wish i would have bought ______ instead" which one would let you down the least?
Hmmmm...hadn't thought of that!

Unfortunately I can think of equal reasons for all of them...

Why does this have to be so hard!!

Old 04-08-2013, 11:53 PM

On the sti make sure studs were used and not bolts that's the only thing your list is missing. Lol I could pull out my most wanted bike list and name a few
Go for it, keep it under 15K!

Old 04-09-2013, 12:09 AM

Are you wanting a rocket or a duelsport you made it clear you want to go off road

Old 04-09-2013, 12:25 AM

Will do when I get home

Old 04-09-2013, 12:49 AM

Are you wanting a rocket or a duelsport you made it clear you want to go off road
Meh, I have a dirt driveway...not really looking to do much else than that. If I got a sumo I'd probably dab a bit in it...but I don't have to.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:40 AM

My buddy has the Triumph 675 and loves it... Hes put in about 12k$ into the bike in mods... From talking to him there is so much you can do with the bike...

The Triumph though, is not necessarily falling into what your explaining you want... You want something that will be dirt and road and be comfortable on 5+ hour rides...

The 5+ hour riding comfortably and off road makes your choices fairly limited... 5+ hours is a chunk of time on a bike and your gunna have lil pinches and strains no matter what Super Sport you go with so Ide recommend something more up rite like the Ducati or KTM... KTM imo only because I work closely with Ducati's corporate office and you REALLY pay for the brand name... KTM is a bit different and parts mods etc are cheaper

Old 04-09-2013, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Halzinky
My buddy has the Triumph 675 and loves it... Hes put in about 12k$ into the bike in mods... From talking to him there is so much you can do with the bike...

The Triumph though, is not necessarily falling into what your explaining you want... You want something that will be dirt and road and be comfortable on 5+ hour rides...

The 5+ hour riding comfortably and off road makes your choices fairly limited... 5+ hours is a chunk of time on a bike and your gunna have lil pinches and strains no matter what Super Sport you go with so Ide recommend something more up rite like the Ducati or KTM... KTM imo only because I work closely with Ducati's corporate office and you REALLY pay for the brand name... KTM is a bit different and parts mods etc are cheaper
Well, I don't really want to go offroading on trails and such, my driveway is only about 1/4 mile of dirt, I normally just take it easy on my bikes when going in and out of my house...all pavement riding other than that.

Also, to me I don't feel like with the Hyper you're really paying for the name, for the price point you're getting a lot. You're getting the same power as a 600rr, with ABS, TCS, and some other goodies for a mere $400 more than a Honda 600rr. Plus if you opt to do the $2,700 upgrade to the SP you get forged wheels, Ohlins rear shock and a Marzocchi front fork.

On the other hand...I can't compare the two really since I haven't ridden either but I can make a guess that they'll ride similarly, except for the hyper being much quicker to accelerate and the honda to have a higher top end.

Also, KTM has a terrible offering in the US in comparison to what their brand offers all over the world. You'd think they'd have more of their more powerful bikes available in the US...but then again they're not a huge name over here.

Maybe I'm wrong?

Quick Reply: Choices :(