Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Check out this insurance quote

Old 07-25-2009, 02:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Check out this insurance quote

Okay,

For some of you, full coverage motorcycle insurance may be easy to come by, but for me it was not. When I first purchased my bike last year, I got a Progressive quote online for about $5000.00/year and basic liability for only $182.00/year. I went with the obvious choice.

I called Progressive back about 3 weeks ago and asked what would I pay now if I opted for full coverage, and the guy on the phone said that it would have been $972.00/year and he offered to prorate it for the rest of the current policy at about $275.00. I said no, but I'll keep that in mind.

Today, I called StateFarm because I was told that they were probably the best with coverage by a couple of people--even back when I got the motorcycle, and they quoted me $250.00/year for full coverage with collision. You know what I did, I got that policy in a heartbeat. I called an canceled Progressive and was going to get back $37.00 - $30.00 cancellation fee. I am not too worried about only getting $7.00 back, but too bad they couldn't be cheaper from the beginning.

Now, it feels good that I can ride and park without having to worry what my liability insurance won't cover because I now have full coverage for only $250.00/year.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have to make sure, they realise your on a sportbike. I had ubercheap insurance on mine for a whole year. Id even paid up for the next.. They canceled it

Old 07-25-2009, 02:15 PM

Yeah, they knew that it was a supersport 6 speed as it was on the policy card. What the nice lady told me, because I got the policy at a local office, is that I qualified for the Mutual policy instead of the standard policy. She said that credit had a lot to do with it, but also because I had no prior auto problems and because I am 25 years old--over the high risk age category.

The lady also said that I may have to buy an automobile policy with them to stay on the mutual policy, but she won't know until Monday. I am okay with that because my auto mobile policy is due to renew soon too. As long as the car policy is also cheap, I am good.

As a matter of fact, she did a policy for another person with full-coverage and his bike was an 07 GSXR-600. $239.00/year for him and this was his renewal.

I could have only paid $100.00/year for full-coverage comprehensive without collision--the collision was $150.00 by itself.

How soon afterward did they cancel your policy from when you got it thegreenbandit?

Old 07-25-2009, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Hangfire
Be careful with that. I've known state farm to give out a "qoute" based on what they think it should be, then change it completely when the background check comes in on people. State farm doesn't actually get to decide what they charge, they tell you what they "think" it might be but the actual cost ends up being whatever the underwriter sends back to them, and sometimes they are vastly different. Hopefully your policy doesn't change, but keep an eye on it. There's no reason SF should be that much cheaper than everyone else.

Yeah, I thought about that too and it would really suck because I already canceled my progressive policy. If I run into any problems, I'll post up, but hopefully I won't.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:10 PM

about 2 months

Old 07-26-2009, 01:46 AM

i got my progressive policy through USAA n pay 900/yr. im 22 with an accident n 1 speedin ticket. it be nice if it was cheaper.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:36 AM

Ive been with state farm for about 8 years now. Im paying right around 450.00 a year for full coverage on a 1000RR. I have basically the best I can get, otherwise I could get it a little lower than that, but low deductable and high coverage, even medical coverage within the policy. By far the best insurance for sport bikes I have ever seen. The represenative I work with told me a long time ago that State farm does not surcharge for sportbikes like most other companies do. they charge based on the cc's and new vehicle cost, not what type of bike it is.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:09 AM

Yeah, that is a really rate justasquid. I declined the medical and underinsured/uninsured coverage. My rep explained to me that since I have the comprehensive and collision, the uninsured/under insured motorist coverage would really cover me (as in medical) and I also declined the medical benifits too. I do have medical insurance, but I know that it is always good to double up when it comes to motorcycle riders.

I will probably add the additional coverage for uninsured/under insured and medical later. The underinsured/uninsured would add about another $200.00/year to my policy. So far, state farm does seem to be good, but I will find out more tomorrow (Monday). I guess with them having good credit is a benefit, because a lot of insurance companies are now not doing credit checks--they rate the driver based on age and driving history.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:26 PM

Like others said - be careful with SF. They cancel stuff after it gets to the underwriter. Did it to me on my boat because their underwriters weren't willing to write Hi-perf boats, and to top it off made the cancellation date July 3rd!!!

After being treated like that I split....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Check out this insurance quote