Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Charged for careless driving?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 12:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charged for careless driving?

I am a college student 19 years old who got into an accident on a four lane highway on international speedway (after the daytona 500). Unfortunately, I did not have registration and plates on the bike because i drove it from jacksonville to daytona beach. The person in front of me stopped short because the turning lane (5th) overflowed into the far left lane. I was not driving fast and was not following very close to the car. Unfortunately, I was not able to stop in time and hit the car on its rear right bumper. I didn't turn and avoid because there was a car on my right side. Well I apparently flipped over my bike because my helmet has a few new scratches on it. Would this be a legit careless driving. In addition, I completed a MSF course on October. What should I do?

Old 02-27-2008, 01:03 AM
Default RE: Charged for careless driving?

i dont get the question?

Old 02-27-2008, 02:02 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

i dont think it would justify "careless driving" it might infer that you were driving un safe for conditions.. basically cause you didnt stop in time so you must've been to close, is how they might view it. you will have to check with local law enforcement and dmv to knwo for sure.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:09 AM

Talk to the DA and plea for an infraction.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:51 AM

YES, the charge can stand. If I were you, I would plede guilty and ask for the courts leanancy(sp)OR get a public defender invovled and hope for a reduction. Go to court prepared, maybe by taking a drivers improver's clinic (what they call them here in VA), dressing nicely, and being respectful.

Sorry to hear and Goodluck!

Old 02-27-2008, 04:08 AM
Banned

I was not driving fast and was not following very close to the car. Unfortunately, I was not able to stop in time and hit the car on its rear right bumper
You were driving too fast (since you couldn't stop), you were driving too close (since you didn't stop), you were careless (since you hid another car), and lucky you aren't dead. Running into the back of a car is the most preventable accident there is, you are lucky you didn't wind up in another lane to get run over by someone else.

Be a man, take the ticket, and re-read your MSF stuff.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: amipinoy

Unfortunately, I did not have registration and plates on the bike because i drove it from jacksonville to daytona beach.
That's makes no sense at all, take the ticket if you got one.

The person in front of me stopped short because the turning lane (5th) overflowed into the far left lane. I was not driving fast and was not following very close to the car. Unfortunately, I was not able to stop in time and hit the car on its rear right bumper.
You were following too close, this ones on you.

In addition, I completed a MSF course on October. What should I do?
Take it again?

Old 02-27-2008, 06:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527
you were careless (since you hid another car)
Amipinoy is the new David Blaine in training. (I love typos)

If you weren't speeding or going faster than the flow of traffic and the person was already in front of you (meaning they didn't cut you off), then it would be safe to surmise that you were following too closely, which is careless. I think that might be how it's viewed. At least you are alive to tell us about it.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:35 AM

im gonna have to agree with everyone, if ya hit the car you were def. to close and goin too fast,
and with no plates and registration..... your screwed

sux though hope it comes out alright for ya !

Old 02-27-2008, 08:26 AM
RCR

You need to explian your story a little better.

How fast were you going? How fast were you going when you hit the car? was it a minor accident? Did ya total your bike?

Not sure about your laws but sometimes a "careless driving" holds the same penelties as a reckless.

I would fight any ticket if it was just an accident. I would check your local laws and say something like "the car suddenly stopped in front due to a traffic jam and I hit him ( if it was a minor damage accident) at a slow speed." Explain that you checked your mirrors and another car was right on your *** and your were afriad of getting hit or some BS like that.

If it was a bad accident and you totaled your bike just be lucky your not dead.....

Quick Reply: Charged for careless driving?