Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: Should the Man restrict driviers from using cell phones?
YES - they pose a safety hazard to everyone on the road
74.07%
NO - it infringes too much on personal freedom
14.81%
OTHER - explain in your post
11.11%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Cell Phones while Driving

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cell Phones while Driving

so there are some focused efforts to reduce the use of cell phones while driving.
how do the other cbr riders feel about restricting cell phones?

Last edited by regener8ed; 10-12-2010 at 07:21 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its already illegal to talk while driving in some places.

it's happening in the bigger cities first. the closest to where I live that I know of is columbus, oh. tickets for even having your phone out. and i'm fine with that.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:23 AM

I voted NO...

and I understand if I take some heat on this but I just hate the goverment telling me what,when and how to do things....abortion,smoking etc etc...

I understand the saftey involved especially when since im on my blade and there is some hottie in the lane next to me talking up a storm ...yeah I worry bout that hottie hitting me but I also fell if it were illegal that hottie would still try and talk and prolly cause more harm than good trying to not be seen on the phone..ducking down,bluetooth etc etc ...

I talk on the phone and drive..did it today but I never text and drive....

imho...

Old 10-12-2010, 09:43 AM

Absolutely it should be illegal to use your phone while driving. If you want to be a dumbass and call your girl while driving, and you end up getting plowed by a bus because you weren't paying attention, that's fine. But you shouldn't put the other people in the bus in danger because you can't wait five minutes or pull off the road to talk.

It's not about "the gubment taking away our freedoms". It's about the govt protecting others around you from suffering cause you decide to light up in a crowded restaurant, or you decide that you've gotta call your girlfriend and have a conversation while on the highway or something. Same reason why you have helmet laws in most states. The govt isn't protecting you, (you can't fix stupid people), it's protecting the people who will have to pay higher insurance and **** because you're too stupid to wear a helmet and you end up cracking your skull open on pavement.

I guess the gov't shouldn't have speed limits imposed on people either, right? Cause that's encroaching on your "freedoms" too. I guess they shouldn't regulate the food and drug industries either, right? Cause then they'd be protecting your "freedom" to eat ****ty food and get sick, and then when you try to get meds for that sickness, the "freedom" to buy ****ty drugs get you more sick. ETC ETC ETC.

TLDR; The whole "GOVT TAKIN FREEDOMS AWAY" **** is incorrect.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:54 AM

In Washington you must now use a hands free head set. This is just stupid. Its not the act of holding the phone to your ear that is distracting. Its the conversation itself! If they are going to ban it then do it the right way and ban it completely, or dont do anything at all.

With that being said I have been known to talk on the phone while riding in stop and go traffic using my iPhone ear buds.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:06 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my car all I have to do to talk on my cell phone is speak into the rearview mirror at the same volume as if I was talking to someone in the car. It's totally hands-free so I don't consider talking on it while driving to be a greater hazard than if I was talking to someone sitting in the passenger seat. Until they outlaw that I'll keep using my cell phone while driving.

Also, I just bought a set of helmet headsets, mainly so my wife and I can talk over the intercom while we're riding. I paired my cell phone to it so whenever I get a call I just speak into the microphone to answer it and talk normally. The person on the other end can hardly believe I'm on a motorcycle, usually traveling down the road at 60+ mph.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

personally, i don't need a law to not use a phone in the car. my family knows better than to call me while driving - if you're calling me from behind the wheel, i say goodbye and call me when you're not busy. that said, laws are not in place for people who would obey them anyway.

still quite interested to see the diverse set of opinions that shows up here - keep 'em coming!

Old 10-12-2010, 10:35 AM

regen, that's because you have a brain. but alot of people don't and you can definitely spot them. like you said, those are the people that the law is made for.

like typical soccer mom in the brand new acura RDX TURBO that her husband got her, flying around on the highway with a coffee in one hand in her phone in the other. i'm scared ****less about riding my bike on the highway with these people.

how do you guys cope with total ****tards while riding your bikes? ninja rocks?

Old 10-12-2010, 11:06 AM

choose to talk on cell phone driving fine i dont care...
choose not wear a helmet..fine by me...
choose not wear seatbelt fine by me..
choose to kill your unborn I dont care...

my point is, is that personally I could give a FU-K less what YOU do as long as it doesnt affect me....

ive been T-boned by a high schooler while she was on her phone and I dont think a cell phone law would have changed all that much..still would have got hit if the law was passed or not its on her to make a choice not to drive and talk on the phone

Old 10-12-2010, 11:21 AM

We actually talked about this the other day in my psychology class.

Driving doesn't require much thought, i'ts almost second nature if you have driving for a decent amount of time. Talking on the phone however, and carrying on a conversation requires active concentration and so if all of the sudden a split second decision has to be made, the brain is divided since it is actively engaged in the conversation and thus the reaction time will be slower.

It doesn't matter if the device is hands free or not, which to me is the dumbest thing saying that because you're not holding it it is now "safe", the act of talking on the phone or even to another person in the car is distracting.

So I voted no just because I feel that if people are not responsible enough to drive safely then the government will have to step in and intervene, it's just the country we live in.

Quick Reply: Cell Phones while Driving