Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

In case you needed more convincing

Old 04-30-2008, 01:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default In case you needed more convincing

that taking the MSF course is a good idea:

New Jersey's state highway safety director reports that "of the 187 bike fatalities from 2002-06, all but five involved motorcyclists who hadn't taken any training."

Part of it may be that the people who think taking the course is a good idea are the same people who would ride safely anyway, but that's a pretty compelling statistic.

http://www.northjersey.com/education/18393149.html

Old 04-30-2008, 01:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: In case you needed more convincing

Yeah, I'd like to have my SO go thru a course. They book up fast as hell around here and their not very cheap either.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:23 PM
Banned

+1

no matter what your experience level, you can learn something from that course. Thankfully, it's a free service in pennsylvania

Old 04-30-2008, 01:33 PM

Next spring Im going to take the advanced class.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:55 PM

I'm definitely a proponent of rider training, but not MSF.

The administrator/creators of that course don't even ride(Upper management). In fact, the head honcho who is women, with a PHD, who has never ridden.

There are contracts with the government that are then manipulated and other schoolsget blindsided. It's one of the reasons why costs vary between states.

I'm sorry, if I'm rubbinganyone the wrong way, but i'm sick and tired of how MSF is this and that. Once you have met the right instructor/school...it will be like MSF who??

This is just my opinion.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:45 PM

Here is Ohio you can take the corse or just take the on bike test. i just took the on bike test and passed the first time and not many do that. If i did not pass the test the first time i was gonig to take the corse.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:11 PM

ORIGINAL: HockeyFan

The administrator/creators of that course don't even ride(Upper management). In fact, the head honcho who is women, with a PHD, who has never ridden.

There are contracts with the government that are then manipulated and other schoolsget blindsided. It's one of the reasons why costs vary between states.

I'm sorry, if I'm rubbinganyone the wrong way, but i'm sick and tired of how MSF is this and that. Once you have met the right instructor/school...it will be like MSF who??

This is just my opinion.
hey man - not completly disagreeing with you here, but after taking an MSF course (i don't care that the execs/creators don't ride - they aren't the ones teaching the course...). I can say with confidence that it would be damn hard to find a better beginners course. this is now my 2nd year of riding so I am still a beginner, but the MSF course was GREAT - not saying that other courses aren't just as good, but I find it hard to believe that there are many (if any) BETTER courses for a beginner to take. Just my $.02

Old 04-30-2008, 03:19 PM
Banned

While MSF may not be ideal, it is inexpensive and available. It is alot like a Honda, I may prefer a MV Agusta or a 1098R, but my Honda does a decent job, and for the money, I am very happy with it.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:53 PM

ORIGINAL: kiker14

ORIGINAL: HockeyFan

This is just my opinion.
hey man - not completly disagreeing with you here, but after taking an MSF course (i don't care that the execs/creators don't ride - they aren't the ones teaching the course...). I can say with confidence that it would be damn hard to find a better beginners course. this is now my 2nd year of riding so I am still a beginner, but the MSF course was GREAT - not saying that other courses aren't just as good, but I find it hard to believe that there are many (if any) BETTER courses for a beginner to take. Just my $.02
I understand. My point is that there is no hands on experience from the powers that be. The hands on experience comes from the instructors. Further, it is more safety oriented then rider oriented.
I'm in the same boat as you, I'm pushing on my 2nd year of riding, but after getting "higher education",my abilities increasedbig time.
You're right it is inexpensive, but some people claim it is the sh*t; and it is not. Too many people fail, there's this gal that used the same instructor, she failed three times(and she did not get her money back) went to see the same instructor and now is an amazing rider.

If it was designed for the people, everyone should pass. I mean, really, the figure 8....what a useless drill. Has anyone on here used that as of late?
Having said, that there were a couple of good things that came out of MSF.

If you are in a position to use another school, if not, find someone who has some formal training. Then use MSF, if that is not available.

Also, i'm not sure about each state,but you here in CAli you still have to do the written test, in fact, i had to do my written test too for my car.

I'm sure I will counter other peoples viewpoints and that's fine. My intention is after all to enhance the riding experience.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:53 PM

i think u dont really realize its that necessary until u do it.
i know plenty of people have just went and passed the test, but the class is about more than just learning to pass the test and get ur L's.
its taught me what to look for, and alot of bad habits that i have had. they also re-enact real life situationslike someone pulling in front of u, or debri flying in front of ur bike on a curve and things like taht (at least my instructors did)
i feel like the guys who taught my class were very knowledgable and they were also very nice/entertaining.
they both ride and have ridden for somethin like 20-30 years... so like kiker said, i dont care if the person at the very top rides... the people teaching me do.
if i go to McD's i dont care if the owner has ever seen a kitchen i just want the people making the food to know what theyre doing.

so having been through it first hand, i dont believe its over rated at all.
if u havent been through it and u think u dont need it... well i guess u wouldnt really know, because u havent been through it.
i just know out of the 4021 people that my two instructors taught, theres only been 1 fatal accident.
and thats enough for me to feel like it was worth it.
its def not gonna hurt. ur not gonna get out of the class and ride worse than u did before u started i guarantee that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: In case you needed more convincing