Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Carbon Fiber?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 06:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Carbon Fiber?

Yeah, just be sure to where heavy duty dipped gloves, other wise your fingers might get stuck together[:@]

Old 01-29-2007, 07:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol, you dont even want to know how many times i have super glued my fingers together.....but ill try not to, thats a horrible feeling.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had some people on here who wanted me to do those for the f4. I didnt have the pieces so I couldnt do them. They should be pretty easy to do. Just hit me up with any more q's, I am not claiming to be an expert but I know more than the average joe.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:47 PM

thanks, there has not been much response anytime i have asked about fiberglassing or CF

i know they already sell those pieces at places like oppracing.com for the F4. i would just buy them, however they dont make anything for the F1. thanks again.

Old 01-30-2007, 12:49 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Make sure and offset the weave 45 degrees for more strength between layers as well. I usually use prepreg (preimpregnated with resin) and vacuum bag it. With prepreg you just lay it up in the waxed mold, put it a vacuum bag, suck all the air out and throw it either in an oven or autoclave(adds nitrogen and ups the pressure to push all the airbubbles out.). The big wait time is overnight while it cures.
However when doing it wet style (seperate cloth and resin, sucks compared to pre-preg), you definately need a squegee and a lot of spare time. Also lay up both layers at once and make sure and soak/squegee the first layer before adding the second. Repeat the soak/squegee process and then if you have a big enough oven cook it at 200-250 farenheit overnight. It will increase the strength exponentially.

Rrasco I haven't seen your otherquestions on cf or fiberglass but I can help ya if you want. Definately get a niosh certified respirator and some good nitrile gloves. You don't need a apron, just some crappy thicker clothes & shoes you don't care about. Also if you want it to cure faster have your work area heated and mix the ratio hotter. Might want to wait on that however since you need some experience before going nuts on it. If you want it slower mix colder and do it in a cool garage. However don't lay it up under 65 degrees, the resin gets wierd. If you don't have a oven or space heater in the garage, you can cook it by setting it on top of your clothes dryer, but its very uneven and can drive you nuts turning the dryer on every hour or two. Use a hair dryer if your really in a bind

Molds are the way to go but Bushmaster is right, theybring a whole new level of butt-pain.

I'm working on making molds for the F1, cuz I'm sick of the plastic, but I need to just do it(started, but I stopped after my son was born) . Anybody else be interested in F1 carbon fiber body panels? and how much do you think I should charge? I still need to see what it will cost me in parts, but hey any thoughts are welcome.

Old 01-30-2007, 05:12 PM

cool, thanks for the tips. that was kind of my thought behind making a mold, was to reproduce more than one. since there is not a aftermarket for the F1, and there certainly is a good demand, why not make the market ourselves? sure I have never done fiberglass or CF before, but that has never stopped me from trying anything before. anytime I can do something myself over buying it, Im down. I was also thinking about prices as they normally sell panels like the ones I want to make for $150+.