Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

car stereo problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 07:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no prob, you're welcome. having tunes for a long period of time sucks. I once went 8 months w/o any radio in the car (unit was sent back to mfr and it took them that long to repair)

any truth to 100% must have to bypass OEM amp? nope. Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler vehicles (pre 2007) all use high level output signals to feed their oem amplifiers. This was convenient for D/J/C because they could use one source (head unit) for amp'd and un-amp'd stereos. Well, a high level signal is done using a pair of speaker wires, so you're doing the same thing by connecting the white,grey, green, and purple wires... in conjunction with the remote turn on wire.

So, you are replicating the same thing the OEM radio was doing... only you're high level signal is just a little higher voltage. ie... OE stereo's may have a 8v signal, your sony may have a 10v signal. its a 25% increase, but nothing to be concerned about. I would be more concerned as to why your OEM radio died. but no, no heat problems.

*edit, going from 8v to 10v is a 25% increase. changed from 20%
John
BT

Last edited by BTBTBT; 02-21-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ah, some really good info above. i did some reasearch about the "blinking equalizer" lights on the OEM deck, and i seemed to find quite a few sites with people having the same issue. but no one had a solution. someone had suggested it had to do with the power supply in the stereo itself?
Mine worked fine till one morning about a month or so ago, i went to start my car and it was freezing cold out. the car wouldnt turn over first try so i tried one more time, and the battery pretty much died on me, i could tell there was alot of strain on it. so i plugged the car in for a few hours, then tried again, the car started right up no prob, but the stereo was ****ed.........