Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Can someone explain?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 05:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone explain?

okay, curiosity has finally gotten the best of me... why the heck are my front chicken strips so much smaller than my rear strips? My rear strips are about 1/2", whereas my fronts are between 1/8" and 1/4". Am I just taking turns really weird or what? Also, if it helps, I tend to get off the bike around turns (not dragging knee, just not sitting dead-center on the seat. I usually get about halfway off the seat), if it makes a difference.

Anybody have an idea?

Old 09-04-2008, 05:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Can someone explain?

ORIGINAL: reaper2022

okay, curiosity has finally gotten the best of me... why the heck are my front chicken strips so much smaller than my rear strips? My rear strips are about 1/2", whereas my fronts are between 1/8" and 1/4". Am I just taking turns really weird or what? Also, if it helps, I tend to get off the bike around turns (not dragging knee, just not sitting dead-center on the seat. I usually get about halfway off the seat), if it makes a difference.

Anybody have an idea?
mines just the oposite. Rear has no stripes to mention and the front has almost 1/2".

What tires do you have on er?

Old 09-04-2008, 05:26 PM

yeah, last summer I had like 1/2" strips on the front and 1/8" on the rear. I had the rear changed (I was down to the cords with a huge flat spot lol), and now it's the opposite (but since then, my front strip has shrunk).

Anywayy,

Front = Dunlop Sportmax Qualifier
Rear = Shinko something-or-other

The Shinkos not bad (a lot s**ttier than the Dunlop SQ it replaced though), but I want my SQ back... it felt more stable in deep leans lol. Im tempted to burn off the shinko just to have an excuse for a new dunlop (but the tire being 2 months old, theres no way I could bring myself to do it... maybe next summer lol)

Old 09-04-2008, 05:28 PM

I run the qualifiers also...I love them....I dunno about chicken strips.. haven't checked in awhile, last time I did there wasn't much left at all

Old 09-04-2008, 05:38 PM

I loved my shinkos, didn't really care for dunlops

Old 09-04-2008, 05:49 PM

I dont know, sometimes it feels like the rear is getting squirrely when Im riding at constant throttle in a straight line... I dont think my qualifiers ever did that. But then again, maybe Im just imagining it. I just always felt more comfortable with my qualifiers.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this may be something thats obvious enough, and you've already checked it.......but, what is your tire pressure set at on the front/rear tires?

my rears are to the edges and the fronts are damn near there too.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:17 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Omg Shinko? Qualifiers? Seriously? Haha. Try some Michelins or Pirellis and you'll never go back.

It's likely due to tire pressure and the way you're riding. You should be able to carve the rear tire all the way to the edge, but almost always have a tiny bit of the front tire that will never see pavement. It's just the way the bike is.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:43 PM

If you are coasting through the corner and late on the gas I would think this would happen. Your body position could have something to do with it as well. Hell, I dono. That's weird. My rear is to the edge and rounded off slightly and my front has at least an 1/8" to go.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:56 PM

Yeah, just different tires and different states of wear. Maybe there is truth in what they say, about how modern tire brands are designed to go together, front and rear.

Quick Reply: Can someone explain?