Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

California Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default California Question

Just wanted to know if anyone out there in california knows what is needed to register a motorcycle? My concern is that I am moving back home to San Diego and am going to have to register my bike. I have the intergrated turn signals and Hot bodies led lights and was told they are not legal in California? I was hoping I could at least get the bike registration complete before having to replace all the turn signals. Does a mortorcycle have to go through inspection befor tags are issued or am I just looking forward to a fix-it ticket. Thanks

Old 03-30-2008, 07:29 PM
Default RE: California Question

i usually do my registration through AAA. I just show up, give em the papers and a check, and I'm done. AFAIK, there is no inspection...not sure if its different with out of state bikes though. Is yours a CA model?

Old 03-30-2008, 07:57 PM

Not sure what you mean when you say California model but I purchased the bike new in Michigan. Is it true intergrated turn signals are against the law in California?

Old 03-30-2008, 10:34 PM
RCR

I have never registered a vehical from out of state, but Im sure you will have to get the vin# verified from the DMV before they register an out of state bike. If it doesn't pass inspection you just have to correct it(wouldn't worry about dmv employee). I also doubt there gonna give you any problems with the lights down here. Also you don't have a Ca model (oxegen sensor) that might be an issue for registration.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:03 PM

You wont be able to register your bike in California if you bought it out of state unless it has 7500 miles on it already...if it doesnt, then i would suggest registering it where you are and get vaild tags....they wont bother you here if the tag on the bike is current, regardless if its a cali plate or not, or you have integrated signals or whatever...as long as they can see your plate easily, and its lit at nite you'll be cool......then when you get 7500 miles on it you can register it here....has something to do with the emissions regulations they have here....other then that I have never heard of a physical inspection, but not 100%.....the only place i have had actually want to look at the bike was the insurance place

If you already have 7500+ miles on it, and you have insurance, then you should be good to go.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:00 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

also as far as tail lights go they have to be 9" apart from the center of the licence plate which must be both visible and illuminated.

do most cops care about this? not really... if a copwants to pull youover and look for a reason to ticket you , this will probably be it.

and yes you have to have atleast 7,500 miles and you might have to do a basic brake and lamp inspection for reg but that can usually be done @ dmv instead of chp

Old 03-31-2008, 08:28 PM

when i got tagged by the CHP last thursday, he didnt say anything about my turn signals (they're not 9" apart, and I need resistors, since they blink so fast the LEDs look solid...).
the only thing to worry about is the 49 vs 50 state emissions. not that i condone such things, but i'm positive if you ask the right people, you can pass...sometimes without anybody even seeing/touching the bike...just...an option.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:38 PM

Thanks for all the feedback I believe the emissions will pass being the bike is stock except for the turn signals and intergraded tail light. only one way to find out I guess thanks again for all the help....

Old 04-01-2008, 02:04 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

ORIGINAL: socale30

when i got tagged by the CHP last thursday, he didnt say anything about my turn signals (they're not 9" apart, and I need resistors, since they blink so fast the LEDs look solid...).
the only thing to worry about is the 49 vs 50 state emissions. not that i condone such things, but i'm positive if you ask the right people, you can pass...sometimes without anybody even seeing/touching the bike...just...an option.
just wait untill you get a chp officer who is in a bad mood and pulls out the rule book (literally) and a tape measure and starts going over your bike section by section just to write more violations. so i have personally seen this happen to my brother who was ticketed for such an offense.

also where does someone get tested for emissionson a motorcycle, is it just visual or does it need to be hooked up as well to a machine and tested ?

Old 04-01-2008, 02:15 PM

california cops are surprisingly nice to bikers, as long as you're not doing wheelies and flicking em off you should be good. Cali cops usually hand out fix it tickets for cars not bikes. Plus if they pull you over, just book it

Quick Reply: California Question