Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Buying my First Gun

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 12:33 PM
VP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying my First Gun

Okay, so I'm just putting this out there up front: I may or may not be a huge ***** for never having had a gun before in my life. So be it, get the flaming over with please, I'm scared for my girlfriends safety so I'm manning up and admitting it up front. This isn't gonna be a long drawn out reason why, but simply I've never felt uncomfortable, and I never grew up around them. I have never shot a gun once in my entire life. I've never really wanted to even consider it until recently.

Long story short, my ****ing insane *** crazy next door neighbor is about to get evicted...2nd apartment in as many months (don't ask me how, I don't know). She went on a crazy "off my meds" rampage and keyed a bunch of cars in our apartment complex. In her other complex, right before they evicted her, she keyed cars, broke windows, and slashed tires. Needless to say, the bike is locked in the garage and our cars are parked in front of another building now. The police are involved, trying to get a warrant, blah blah blah...

We also found a lot of information in the parking lot next to her car (she leaves trash everywhere) about simple lock picking... it was about 30 pages and had info on cars and houses.

In the meantime, I live with my girlfriend and our dog. We have a dead bolt inside the apartment that we always lock while we are home and you can't unlock from outside, but I haven't been comfortable at night the last week since this bitch went nuts on the cars in the parking lot.

Here's my dilemna, I want to purchase my first gun, and I have no idea what I'm doing. These are the requirements:

Not a whole helluva lot of money (less than $500).
I live in an apartment, so I don't want something that'll go into another apartment if I have to shoot it

So, I went to a gun store with my friend who IS gun nut, and came up with a few options... revolver (it's simple and shoots every time), a pistol (Berretta was nice but kind of pricey and pretty complicated) and a full sized shotgun (least expensive, most intimidating, but most likely to scare the bejesus out of my girlfriend).

I need opinions as I clearly can't make up my mind.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:43 PM
Default RE: Buying my First Gun

not that i am an expert but what caliber's are you looking at.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:58 PM

your not a ***** for never owning or shooting a gun. there's nothing wrong with that. getting a gun because of a girl is questionable
but any ways, revolvers are not sure to fire every time. people like to say it but its not true. go with a 9mm glock with hollow points. but best to shoot hardcorp a pm!!

oh and also "KNOW YOUR LAWS". its your responsibility to know your laws regarding gun handling and when and where to use it. i dont want to see you get in trouble

Old 09-02-2008, 01:15 PM

If it's home defense you want, get a shotgun. Doesn't have to be a 12gauge (whichWILL kick the **** outta your girl if she's less than 110lbs)...go with a 20gauge, something with a decent name like a Remington, Mossberg, or Winchester. Get a short barrel and load it with birdshot. Birdshot is smaller so it won't penetrate through walls and hit your neighbors, but it will still ventilate an intruders chest if they are too stupid to heed the "Clack-clack" sound of you racking a shell into the chamber. ALWAYS keep them loaded if you are using them for defense..."Oh, hello Mr. Burglar/Rapist Sir, could you just wait a sec whileI load my firearm?", but never keep a round in the chamber. Safety on, empty pipe, full magazine.
Me? I own these for home defense.

Remington 870 loaded with 00Buck (I don't take my own birdshot advice, as I own my home and don't have to worry about a neighboring apartment), and a Tec-22 with 30round clip, also fully loaded at all times. Both have only been shot to sight them in, and I hope to God I never have to shoot them again. My wife has been fully trained on how to take the safeties off and put a round in the chamber as well, should she ever need to use them when I'm not home.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:15 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

a .38 or 9mm would probably be in your best intrest. personally i use a larger caliber because i want to make sure what i shoot isnt getting back up. you could also buy a shot gun

Old 09-02-2008, 01:16 PM

Eh with apartments you can't really trust anything not to go through walls. Used guns run pretty cheap and a revolver would be something that you could trust would work well.. buying a used autoloader you might end up with something that has feeding issues.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:50 PM
Cro

Get a .38special snub nose revolver.
I am all for a shotgun for home defense, but your in an apartment. Unless you have the training to clear corners cleanly with your muzzle while keeping good sight picture, get a handgun. Easier to pull when needed (under the nightstand it great) and easier to move with.
If your really serious, get training. Not just your CCL but there are close quarter classes that can be taken as a civilian. Especially since you've never shot before.
Good luck, be safe.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:01 PM

Bought a Smith & Wesson 9mm a year ago and still havent shot it.

A stubby shotgun would probably be best. Smaller, lighter and if they're still alive you can beat them to death with it.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:23 PM

If it is strictly for home defence, go with 51plymouth. .20 gauge shot gun, shortest barel you can legally have with bird shot. the best thing about a shot gun, is that not only will it stop said intruder, but within 15 feet, if you are even REMOTLEY on target, you will hit them with something.

however, check your local laws. I just did a QUICK search for Georgia and found that you do appear to have a "stand your ground" law. meaning if there is an intruder in your home, you have the right to shoot to kill. Not many states have this law. I, for instance, would have to use discresion, if it is not apparent that the person in my home has the intent to hurt/kill me, i can't shoot to kill.

knowing this i would say go for a 20 gauge, you most likely will have to clear a 3 day waiting period, but it will be easier that trying to purchase a handgun

Old 09-02-2008, 03:50 PM
VP

ORIGINAL: rider0033

your not a ***** for never owning or shooting a gun. there's nothing wrong with that. getting a gun because of a girl is questionable
haha yeah I didn't mention that she has a different guy in the apartment with her every other night and one of them was with her at the other apartment when she was F***ing all those cars up...

I just got back from looking at some more guns... I was a big fan of this S&W revolver (it's a 7 shot) but the price is a bit steep at $600.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun.../seven_102105/

He also showed me a shotgun that I really liked a lot... it was wayyyy ligher than I thought it would be and just the sound of cocking the gun would probably be enough to scare somebody out before I had to shoot it. It had a chamber for 6 rounds on bottom and one on top ... it was all black and I think he said it was $375.... he said it would hold bird shot and would be the least likely to go through the wall in a apartment if you were more than a few feet away...I have no idea what it was but this was a high end gun store so it was probably a good brand.

Quick Reply: Buying my First Gun