Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Buying help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying help!!

I didn't know where else to place the topic but here. I am looking at buying a motorcycle for the first time and was needing some help/info from expierenced people as yourselfs. I am looking at a 99 cbr 600. everything looks exceptionally clean bike has 1 little rash spot but engine/seals look really good. the thing that concerns me about it is its mileage... being a car guys 28k miles is brand new... but for cycels i hear the story is a bit different? the guys wants 3k for it but like i said its got 28k miles....... is this bike worth buying?

Old 02-08-2010, 10:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends on the ownership. Properly maintained, these Hondas are far hardier than a car. Especially given the conditions they were designed to run under.

If the previous owner did the scheduled maintenance, especially the oil changes, and didn't have a stunter alter ego then 28k can be a quarter of its life. Guy here went 177k till a lowside did engine damage (and there's no guarantee that bike is done yet).

Can't really talk price without some more on the bike tho.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:25 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

3k is too much for a 99 walk away. I bought an 01 F4i for 2800 with 30k miles that ran like a champ. the deals are out there this is the time to BUY BUY BUY because theres so many sellers and not enough buyers. you can get a Much better deal then that.

If you could pick it up for 2500 that'd be fair for both of you.

*p.s. I have a friend who rode 98,000 miles on his 99CBR F4

Old 02-10-2010, 12:35 AM

Thanks for the posts. Also if anyone is interested in helping me search give me a pm lol. I am from the beaumont/houston texas area

Old 02-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lots of bikes in the Austin area as well, if that's in your search area.

Yeah, 3k is a little much for a '99. The mileage thing is less concerning if a bike has been taken care of properly.

Good luck.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Default Update

I have an update on the bike... I personally went and looked at it. It was dropped going 10-15 mph therefore leaving the front with a tiny crack where the mirror mounts and light rash on the left side of the bike (only in the plastic) bike has a jardine pipe, larger sprocket, smoke shield, jacket with pads, and a helmet. Lowest he would go is 2800. Is this a more reasonable price?

Old 02-11-2010, 07:31 PM

Shop around in the Austin, Killeen, & Temple area on craigslist. My boy just bought a 03 600rr with 9k miles and super mint condition. I did the inspection and he got it for 4300. I recommend you keep looking. He was looking at a 02 F4i with repsol plastics for like 3500 around the Killeen/Temple area. And with the larger sprocket (if its the rear) the mileage will be off slightly due to the gearing change.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:07 AM

do a search in your area on crazedlist.org......it searches craigslist, but you can check all the areas around the area that you are in...just a little time saver than going to one area and then going back and re-searching...

Old 02-17-2010, 10:25 PM
Default Thanks all.

I wanna thank you all for viewing/responding to my post... I have decided to strike a deal with the fella for 2500 he is now giving me a jacket and 2 helmets with the bike aswell. I plan on picking it up on friday... once again thanks all

Old 02-18-2010, 10:07 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

Hey I'm from Houston and if you shoot me a PM Elite I can help you, you say it has a larger sproket? I hope it's not too large. If it is, it's been stunted and been abused. PM me more details ect if you want some last min advice. but I know there are MANY MANY cheap bikes on sale in Houston right now.

MAKE SURE THE TITLE IS CLEAN by the way. I'm glad you like the bike but if you need any help I'm just an hour down the road

p.s. I drive to Louisiana to gamble often and drive right through Beamount.

p.p.s. pm me for a local Motorcycle forum you can find rides to go on with.

Quick Reply: Buying help!!