Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Buying a bike you've never seen

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 04:43 PM
VP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Buying a bike you've never seen

ORIGINAL: Gville George

how are you planning on getting the bike? sending him the check then having it shipped? or physically driving out there and picking it up?
I am definitely gonna have to get it shipped... it's over a thousand miles away... I know of several shipping companies that are super cheap and insure the bike without any extra cost in case its damaged or stolen during shipment

I do have one relative who lives in Buffalo who I am going to call and see if they can stop over and see the bike and the title in person before I transfer the money (unless anybody on here wants to do it for me)

Old 01-27-2008, 10:29 PM

Bro, to buy a bike that you can't check out yourself is a big risk. It may be a good deal, but you know what happens if it's too good to be true....it probably isn't.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:42 PM

i will be in buffalo, on thursday.. . if its not to out of the way.. i can take a peak and check the vin/mileage and ****.. but other than that.. i dont want to vouch for its driveability.. for gods sakes its snowy and the temps is in the 10s up here..

but let me know.. if its near where im going i will check it out.. just dont get me shot

Old 01-27-2008, 10:52 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought my new 07 600RR yesterday. I took care of everything over the phone and paid for it before I even saw it............but it was through a dealer (and one that I trust), so it didn't bother me any. If it's through a private seller, I would advise against it......this world is full of scammers.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:38 AM

Back in 04 when I bought my 04 CRF50F I found the deal on Ebay and called the dealership and finsihed locked the deal in then drove the 2.5 hours to get it a few days later, but I did not evenpay for it till I got there. It was a new bike so I was not worried, but a used bike is differant. I would never buy a used bike without seeing it and hearing it run. There is so many things in this deal that can go wrong and you will be left holding the bag so the speak.

Do what you want, but use your head and be careful.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:03 AM
VP

Well I've pretty much given up on this guy already... he has left a few emails unanswered and hasn't sent me back the information I asked for so I already have a bad feeling about it.

Now I had a guy respond to a thread I posted on Repsol Forums about me looking for one and he has the title in hand and has lots of mods... but my new question is this, how do I even go about paying for something like this and have my money secure without going through eBay? Paypal only secures up to $2000 while eBay does $20,000... is there a more secure way to pay for it?

Basically what I was thinking was to have him fax me a bill of sale, paypal him the money, then have him pay for shipipng which I would reimburse him for... If it was a dealership I wouldn't be worried at all but this is a private seller

My problem is that the only good Repsol I've seen for sale in Georgia the guy is asking too much for and won't budge on the price so I just don't wanna go with him. I do want to go ahead and get a bike before Spring because the prices jump up pretty quick when the market gets flooded with buyers

Old 01-28-2008, 12:00 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

sounds like you might have to get a buddy and a truck and make a road trip i have done it many of times and i am always willing to go a distrance to get what i want right now lol so if you find a good deal you might have to work for it to go there yourself

Old 01-28-2008, 12:24 PM

I bought mine on eBay before I looked at it. However, I didn't pay anything, not even a deposit until I checked the bike over and had the title in my hands.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:03 PM

As a seller, no way I would ever ship it and then ask for money afterward. After all, you already signed the title over and have the money for the bike. As a buyer it's up to you to get the bike shipped. (and you take on the responsibility)

As to buying, unless the seller has clean title in hand in his name, or the owner will sign over when you hand cash, OR you can go to the bank and have them physically sign the title over to you after the transaction takes place, you are asking for trouble. I keep seeing ads for bikes that state "I don't have the title". Horse****!!! a new replacementtitle from the DMV here is like $10 or less.

Take a road trip!!!