Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Built Car vs. Bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011 | 12:11 AM
|

Originally Posted by nickp123
My buddys evo with an fp black makes around 600 at the wheel at only like 30psi. Those dont even start making power till around 32+. He drives it detuned at 28psi and it still makes about 522 at the wheels. That thing walks 600s all day its fun as hell to drive but its no where near as fun as being on the bike. I dont care if its slower its just so much more fun, its like comparing apples to oranges. But if you can build the car and then still get a decent bike youll be set.
So if I were to find a 00-03ish bike, with 15k, that wouldn't be too bad - as long as it's been cared for? What does something like that go for. I've seen a few 97-99's with 20,000+ miles priced at 3500.00!!

Old 04-18-2011 | 01:07 AM

No way thats really overpriced. You can get a decent 01-03 for 2800-3000. $3500 will get you a minty f4i. I got my 01 for $1000 with 10k miles that only had cosmetic damage from a lowside. $500 in parts and some tlc and shes worth at least 2500 now. Once I get it all painted and sort out some other problems itll look brand new. So thats another way you can go but thats always risky since the bike has been crashed and there could be some serious problems you dont know about but on the other hand you could make out like a bandit. Your best bet would to be find one thats never been down for around 3k.

Old 04-18-2011 | 01:42 AM

Honestly, even 60K miles is nothing for a bike. The reason you see so many bikes with low miles is because no one rides them. Most people feel sportbikes are not good to ride long distance, and they are more of a weekend toy for most people more so than daily transportation, so the miles usually stay low. They do require a bit more maintenance than a standard car, but not anymore attention than a similiar built car would. your only dealing with 600cc and putting down over 100hp. But the only maintenance they require engine wise is valve inspections at 16,000 mile intervals. There are other things laid out in the manual, but thats the only time consuming one. Other than that, your looking at just changing the oil, putting in gas and going. You will have other things to consider chassis wise such as bearings, drive train, wheels, tires, brakes... all wear items. But if the bike runs, hasn't been crashed and sounds good, I personally wouldn't care how many miles it had. I'd rather buy a bike that was driven instead sitting in storage 95 percent of the time. Thats when things can get really ugly. I would actually stay away from extremely low milage bikes. Unless the owner can provide proof that it was stored properly.

If you had choice between two bikes that were close to the same year and condition, obviously you'd choose the one with lower miles, but in no way would I not buy a bike that had high miles. The only downside to buying a high milage bike, and I do mean the only downside, is a lot of people have the mentality that you spoke of. They think anything over 10,000 miles is bad, so it may be hard to sell it if you decide to later on.

mid 90's bikes for 3500 is way too much. you can easily get into early 2000 models for that. It may be hard right now since the season is really revving up, but in a month or so, people will come to their senses and the prices should come back down.

If cars are your thing though. Its not hard to make a car outperform a bike. Its expensive, but not hard. It will take some good suspension parts, but you can out corner a bike with a well tuned car. Im not sure 500hp will do it, but it will be close. Plus you have the learning curve on the bike to actually make the bike perform. Cars are easy to drive fast, bikes are not. It takes some serious seat time to be able to make a bike to perform well.
But the satisfaction of make a bike perform cannot be matched by a car. It truly is something that has to be experienced to truly know what people are talking about.

Old 04-18-2011 | 01:51 AM
July 2008 ROTM

My $5,500 bike runs mid 9s. Just sayin'. Haha.

As a fellow Subaru enthusiast, I can certainly attest to the desire to have a fast, awesome car. However, as most have said, the feeling on a bike is just totally different, regardless if the bike is actually faster or not. Sure, your STi could probably beat my F4i though a lot of straight and twisty situations. But do you get to do it with the wind rushing through you and your body 18" from the ground, being touchy on the throttle when you start to feel that back tire slide just a little bit... No comparison!

I enjoy having both types of vehicles (and subsequently, both a straight-line bike and my F4i), so I can enjoy all sorts of vehicular fun depending on my mood.

I'm gonna echo a couple others and say finish your car and find a cheap street bike. Take an MSF class, ride on the street, see how you like it, and either skip the bike or buy whatever is appropriate for you. Don't skip the MSF course, and don't cheap out on gear. Wear it all the time!

Old 04-18-2011 | 11:19 AM
|

Thanks for all the advice guys! This community is definitely a good one. I am going to finish the build in the next week or so, and then enjoy that for a while. I'll probably end up taking the course, and looking for a bike a little bit after that.

I definitely feel a lot better about the higher mileage bikes now though! Oh.. and all gear all the time. I don't plan on having passengers for quite a while, but I am sure the lady will want to ride at some point. She's already asked if I am going to make her wear all the gear, and she wasn't too happy. You guys showed me "degloving", and I'm definitely showing her that before she complains about getting on it.

Thanks again guys!

Old 04-19-2011 | 01:55 AM
|

Does anyone think looking at local dealers would be worth it? Or should I stick to private party?

Old 04-19-2011 | 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by leftbehind126
Does anyone think looking at local dealers would be worth it? Or should I stick to private party?
You could look around if the prices are ok (although they probably will be quite a bit higher I'm guessing..) but I would personally go to a private party and make sure there is as much service history available as possible.

Take the course before shopping around for bikes so you can test drive them and bring a buddy that knows bikes. He'll be able to check the important stuff (leaking forks, worn chain and sprocket, CCT, rust, strange wear, tire life etc. If the bike has been laid down check for straight frame and forks). Whatever you do, test the bike first. Most people here suggest to start on a small bike but I started on my 600 F4. Over here getting a license is quite a process (an expensive one) and I had been riding for years overseas. I would get a 600 but go really easy on it untill you get to know the bike.

I've been in fast cars before (M5, 2009 Nissan GTR etc.) but nothing compares to a bike. You'll love the feeling of the wind, cruising with your girl and soaking in the sun!

Originally Posted by leftbehind126
Thanks for all the advice guys! This community is definitely a good one. I am going to finish the build in the next week or so, and then enjoy that for a while. I'll probably end up taking the course, and looking for a bike a little bit after that.

I definitely feel a lot better about the higher mileage bikes now though! Oh.. and all gear all the time. I don't plan on having passengers for quite a while, but I am sure the lady will want to ride at some point. She's already asked if I am going to make her wear all the gear, and she wasn't too happy. You guys showed me "degloving", and I'm definitely showing her that before she complains about getting on it.

Thanks again guys!
Regarding the gear. I wear textile because I ride daily and all year round. Although leather is considered to be safer (high speed riding), textile is plenty safe and MUCH more practical. If she doesn't like the idea of wearing textile pants at least invest in some kevlar lined riding jeans. Don't like clunky boots? Look at some motorcycle shoes. I wear my jacket, gloves and helmet (often boots) all the time. I don't always wear my pants unless I go for a long highway ride. You are in control so make sure your girl is as safe as she can be.

Old 04-22-2011 | 11:10 PM

today my friend let me drive his built scion with around 400+whp...fking amazing. turbo kicking in everywhere and me getting sucked into my seat. i thought cars were boring but built cars are fantastic. Not as "fun" as a bike but it was a great change of scenario.