Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Built Car vs. Bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 08:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Built Car vs. Bike

Dilemma!

So I am in the process of building my STi to around 450whp. I have everything I need except for a front mount which will be roughly another $1200.00. I have the FP Red, injectors, etc. blah blah. I planned on putting them on in about a month to kick off the spring/summer. I am pretty psyched about it. I also want a bike badly. 99% settled on a CBR600f4i. I've determined I shouldn't splurge that much this season.

It's come down to either:

FP Red'd STi and no bike.
or
Vf39 (stock turbo) STi Protuned and CBR600.

I've been in quick STi's, and the feeling is intense and amazing. I mean.. come on.. we all crave for more power it seems! I've owned the car for three years, but I've been set on this idea for two years and I'm a month away from completing it and having doubts. I have never been on a streetbike. I've been dirtbiking for 12 years, and have no doubt I can handle the streetbike, and I know I'll have fun. Obviously the car is going to be safer than the bike overall. I keep running different ideas in my head and just can't figure out what I really want more.

I know the opinion might be biased on here since it's a bike forum - but I would prefer opinions from people that have seen both sides.

So what say ye OT? Opinions? Criticism? Insults? Bring it on!

Old 04-12-2011, 08:20 PM

go get your motorcycle license first. buy a bike that you plan on droppin and learn to ride. so id suggest finish the sti since your 1 part away from the build. get a crappy low cc bike to learn on.

enjoy.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by dohcdelsol
go get your motorcycle license first. buy a bike that you plan on droppin and learn to ride. so id suggest finish the sti since your 1 part away from the build. get a crappy low cc bike to learn on.

enjoy.
Recommendations?

The reason I chose the 600 was because people say their very reliable and a good bike to learn on. My Civic has been reliable, so I would love if it was along the same lines of that. I figured a 01-03 for like 3-4k would be a nice starter bike.

Definitely open to suggestions and opinions though.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:27 PM
October 2011 ROTM

There is nothing like riding a bike. I'm not talking about the power because a pretty damn well built car can beat a bike. I'm talking about just cruising. No car will give you the feeling a bike can. Then you get on the bike and it pulls the front wheel. I want to see your STI do that. Don't get me wrong I really like a fast car but for ME to really enjoy life I got to be on 2 wheels.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:27 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i've been a lot of built cars... never owned them, but worked on them (usually muscle cars) / drove them/ and obviously rode in them.

trans ams LS1's (one that made over 500 hp)
a couple of older GTO's (one was a judge - man that was a fun car to drive)
also a couple of built TPI camaros

i've been in some pretty serious audi's and vw's as well.

turboed a4's (400 ish hp)
supercharged jettas - not too special, better than stock i guess

but nothing compares to a bike. nothing. couldn't come close. i completely lost all interest cars after getting a bike. cars are too big, too complicated, they're sooo slow, and they lean the wrong way! bikes are simple, parts are cheap, they're WAY faster out of the box, they don't cost an arm and a leg to fuel up, fun to take on trips, the list just keeps going on and on.

take the msf - its an easy way to see. if you like the idea of riding around in the parking lot of a lil honda 250, you'll love a bit bigger bike on the road.

as they say - 4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by leftbehind126
Recommendations?

The reason I chose the 600 was because people say their very reliable and a good bike to learn on. My Civic has been reliable, so I would love if it was along the same lines of that. I figured a 01-03 for like 3-4k would be a nice starter bike.

Definitely open to suggestions and opinions though.

nah man, thats just a nice bike. get an older one. late 90's make. you can get into them for under 2k, they're plenty quick, look good, reliable usually.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by R Dub
There is nothing like riding a bike. I'm not talking about the power because a pretty damn well built car can beat a bike. I'm talking about just cruising. No car will give you the feeling a bike can. Then you get on the bike and it pulls the front wheel. I want to see your STI do that. Don't get me wrong I really like a fast car but for ME to really enjoy life I got to be on 2 wheels.
exactly what i was trying to say

Old 04-12-2011, 08:32 PM

Finish the car, then mid summer or fall when bike prices are dropping due to the upcoming winter, buy an f4i. Then by this time next year you will have a nice car and a nice bike.

Last edited by champ24; 04-12-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:34 PM

I would stick with the VF39 and switch over to E85 if it is available in your area. With a proper tune that should put you around 300whp. IMO an FPred on the street is a little too much for a DD. Then take the money you saved and go pick up an F4i or a 600rr.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by champ24
Finish the car, then mid summer or fall when bike prices are dropping due to the upcoming winter, by an f4i. Then by this time next year you will have a nice car and a nice bike.
+1

Quick Reply: Built Car vs. Bike