Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Buell is dead.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buell is dead.

If this is a repost, please delete my thread

YouTube - Messaggio di Erik Buell che annucia la vendita del marchio

Very sad day indeed.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:24 PM

This is so sad. It's a shame to lose any motorcycle manufacturer, especially one that actually thought outside of the box and was willing to take risks by trying new things. MV Agusta (also Harley owned) is also getting the axe. Harley is in pretty deep right now. Here's a link to a press release today. Third quarter profits of 26.5 million compared to 166.5 million a year ago is a killer.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/4/4838...-Fall-84-.aspx

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/575/48...Business.aspxh

Old 10-15-2009, 10:35 PM

very sad to see a company fail. they had heart. they just didnt have the right bikes

Old 10-15-2009, 10:52 PM

I think they would have done better without being saddled with Harley engines for so long. The new 1125's with their Rotax designed engines were a step in the right direction at least. I test rode both the older generation engine on the Firebolt and the new one on the 1125cr at Indy GP 2008 and the 1125 was MUCH smoother. Erik Buell has a true passion for the sport and it always showed in that company.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:32 AM

I'm with Hangfire, there is no big loss here. I don't like to see an American company go down either but when they can't make a quality product my compassion is nonexistent.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:15 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

Sucks that they are being sold but hey... the local dealer here is selling EVERY single one for 6,500 OTD crazy good price

Old 10-16-2009, 04:54 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, Hangfire..... you're so insensitive.
Hell, I cried when Geo discontinued Metro..

Old 10-16-2009, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Hangfire
Hmm. So making a crap, underperforming product that noone wants and cheating to win with it isn't the recipe for success? Who knew. An american company making a product that requires damn near twice the displacement of it's competition to compete is an embarassment in the first place and shouldn't be overly mourned. BMW has the right idea for how to go up against the big four and hopefully an american company will take their cue and run with it. Preferably not one in any way associated with harley.

It sucks to see an american company, and someones dream, go down. But if my dream was to sell $hit flavored lollipops and my company went bankrupt cause noone wanted to buy $hitty lollipops, who would mourn it's loss? Just me. However since Mr. Buell still has a good job doing R&D for harley he's not getting much sympathy from me. Is anyone honestly surprised by this?
well put! had more to do with harley's approve any old scumbag credit system though.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I had the cash, I'd grab one... Make a great collector's item

Come on, 10 years from now and you have one in mint condition with less than 100 miles? Someone will pay 2x - 3x what you paid to stick it in a shrine

Quick Reply: Buell is dead.