Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

to boot or not to boot

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down to boot or not to boot

wood yall cut someone some slack if they worked for you and you saw this? sleeping beauty here is my estimator, times are tough and lack of work has slowed my steel shop down to a crawl.....and i have tried my best not to lay anyone off. For those who dont know , estimator is the guy that finds and bids jobs to keep work comin in...i hold the axe and cutttin stump hasnt seen blood in a while. i try to give breaks but he was snoring.....

Attached Thumbnails to boot or not to boot-sell.jpg  
Old 12-04-2009, 02:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

was his napping intentional or did he just doze off??? If intentional, yea reprecutions(sp?) should ensue!!!

Old 12-04-2009, 02:55 PM

I wouldn't lay or fire him per say, but I would crack the whip. If he is the one responsible for bringing in new work he should be the hardest working person in the company.....more so now then ever.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe just email him this picture, that will let him know he's being watched. Maybe he will even do the right thing & come tell you how sorry he is for letting that happen. He might work harder to prove his abilities after that.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:06 PM

As someone who is out of work. I can say it sucks. I wasn't sleeping. My boss/ estimator/ owner of company bid a hand dug 35' trench 18 inches deep and wire a light at 1 and 1/2 hours. After the fight (Not physical) I was unemployed.
The desk looked like he wasn't in the middle of anything; unless the computer screen say's differently.
Soooooooooo fire him and hire me to do it online from Dallas.

Cause I'm a pothole.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:34 PM

unless he is having family problems that keep him up all night, it is unacceptable. i would give him fair warning for first offense then tell him to hit the road if he did it again. if i even thought of doing that at my job i would not even get to finish the workday. my *** would be sent home immediately, nice and roasted from being fired.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:50 PM

i would agree with playfulgod... there are times when im at work when i can barely keep my eyes open staring at the computer all day. and things at home with my family and gf, and friends are so rough that mid day when i am maybe at lunch or just finished up a project, i lean back and close my eyes for 5-10 mins...

i dont think its grounds for firing but its grounds for discussion... if its once, then ok u let it slide (but u still talk to him about it) if its done on a constant basis then you need to take action

Old 12-04-2009, 04:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Email the pic with the caption "I see yoooouuuu!"

See what happens in the next 4 weeks.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:11 AM

If the guy is normally a good worker and this is out of the ordinary, then I would talk with him. It could be he just snuck a 10 minute nap, but who knows. I think at the very least a talking is needed. Its not just about the nap, but anyone that sees this will have much less respect for you as boss.

On the other hand, if the guy is not doing his job and you need an excuse to fire him, let him go and hire someone that will work how you see fit.

Its kind of hard not knowing everything, but the bottom line is your the boss, the place needs to run the way you see fit. Its your butt on the line when things don't get done.

was this after lunch? did he take a late lunch? you really need to talk with him and find out what the reason was he thought it was ok to take a nap.

oh yea, and nothing that a few sheets of 4x8 sheet metal falling right out side his door won't fix.. ha.ha. thats probably what I would have done.

Last edited by justasquid; 12-05-2009 at 03:21 AM.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't show him the pic (yet) as he may say you were spying on him.
Just have a talk to him & say you walked in the other day & found him a sleep. The guy may have some problems, have a 2nd job as a sex god or even a health issues.
Give him a kindly warning, if that don't work & you catch him again, then can him.

Quick Reply: to boot or not to boot