Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Boating

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 04:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boating

Hey guys I hope you are still riding and going strong even in this cold weather!

I wanted to ask you for some advice on boating. My father recently purchased a planing hull outboard jet boat, 5 seater. It has an extremely old engine but he fixed it right up!

Well, he is new to boating as am I, so I could really use some stories about your experience with boats. The do's and dont's, what to expect, dangers, what sucks, what is good, the whole shibang!

Currently, I have been reading the Washington State recommended literature on boats and information regarding licensing. It really seems like it is identical to motorcycle and automotive licensing but I cannot imagine an inspector testing me on a freaking boat. hehe.

Other than that is there something else I should study in order to prepare for boating?

Oh, and since my dad is now a boater I want to get him something boating related. Is there a tool or item that is absolutely essential or luxurious for a boater? Recommendations would be lovely.

Thanks guys and happy riding and sailing!

Old 12-12-2010, 06:42 AM

Sounds like you both should start with lifejackets! haha

Me and my buddys ran out of gas (long story) on the potomac river one time this past summer..... so ah.. check your fuel often hah

Old 12-12-2010, 07:18 AM

First off congrats! My dad has owned various types of boats my entire life, sailbaots, pwc's, and bowriders so I too love boating and being on the water in general.

Without this turning into a post like in the working out thread, which you need to check btw, boats are alot of fun and not too expensive if maintained properly.

As far as a boating gift, depends on how much you are looking to spend but we have a small waterproof container (a life saver when we had the jet skis) that we put all of our important stuff in, wallets, phones, small camers etc.

You got any pictures?

Old 12-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on the boat. Got pics?

Safety & knowledge are the keys to boating. Sounds like you're already studying to learn all you can.

Like MSF & Hunter Saftey courses, there are Boating Safety courses. I highly recommend signing up for one of those. Also like the MSF, once you've completed the course, many insurance co's offer discounts for Boating Safety courses. So, there's another plus.

As for gifts, there's tons of gift goodies...some ornamental, some functional. Quick inexpensive gifts like floaty-keychains & floaty sunglasses straps are readily available & are a plus for any boater.

Look forward to seeing the boat.

Last edited by gotcbr; 12-12-2010 at 10:38 AM. Reason: sp
Old 12-12-2010, 12:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like fun man.

Ima give a big +1 for checking your gas often. We went out on my uncles boat a few years ago in california and ran out of gas and had to row about 4-5 miles till someone saw us looking like idiots and gave us a tow. Last time we went boating in the middle of the week.

For a good gift i would say something that keeps stuff dry(we left our stuff in the car so we had no phones to call the ranger lol) or a radio so if he gets far out and a phone doesnt work atleast you have that.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:10 PM

Ive been boating all my life since i grew up on the water. Kinda like with riding its the other people you have to watch out for. There are basically no rules on the water in terms of there arent any lanes or speed limits or anything so a lot of people act like idiots. Im not sure about what its like by you but i live in between an ocean and a bay so everyones got boats and in the summer its all kids, some as young as 15-16, driving around so you just have to be careful. Shockingly though, theyre some of the safer boaters out there since theyve grown up around it too but theres always exceptions. Its the tourists that come for the weekend or the summer that borrow or rent a boat and have no experience and no license and have no clue what theyre doing that are dangerous. Theyre fairly easy to spot and avoid though. Just make sure you cover your *** and maintain your boat, always have enough life jackets for the amount of people on board in case you get stopped or checked, dont have too many people on board etc. Dont want to get in trouble over something stupid you have control of.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:12 PM

There are always speed limits in bays / waterways.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NateDieselF4i
There are always speed limits in bays / waterways.

+1 and some lakes have a set direction depending on the size of area and the amount of people on it. One lake ive been to has a direction when waterways get close.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:54 PM

sexy! not the boat the bike ;P

my father in the top left! working hard

Okay, not a 5 seater but we have 5 family members so maybe I'll be on the tow line.

Engine. My father being a helicopter designer and engineer loves this stuff. But he has never worked on something that is 40 years old (I think 40, maybe older).

Yes

Yes
Name:  PA240019.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  26.8 KB
Yes, it says Business Travel. My dad named it Business Travel so he can tell others he is on Business Travel. lol slacker ;P

Guys, I really love the feedback! I swear you guys are better than Google. I will get my father to take the class like you said, watch out for the damn tourists ^^, check fuel on my boat (also my bike), and definitely lifejackets!

I will try not to end up stranded on the potomac like a loser lol

Thanks guys really appreciate it! More advice would be love.

Last edited by jpanside@gmail.com; 12-12-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:09 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No more than 4 bikini clad chicks on the boat at a time .......
it could distract you and you might crash or even worse be a
loser and run out of gas !.......

that would be sooooo uncool

Seriously thought the boaters ed class will show you the
info on markers and rights of way etc.

Energency KIt , Flares , Air Horn, first aid kit , small dry chem
fire extinguisher, small basic socket set , some spare plugs.
manual bilge pump ...... oh yah and one large bucket ...for
multiple uses
BTW

That's a Mercury / Kiekhafer tower of power unit which puts
that boat around '67 or 68......... 43 / 44 years old ...motors
a legend ..... the jet impeller will be where the work is there.

Last edited by Sprock; 12-12-2010 at 09:14 PM.