Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Blu-ray versus upconversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 07:42 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Blu-ray versus upconversion

BTW, Netflix rents Blu Rays for a dollar extra a month. I signed up when I found this out...

Old 11-19-2008, 07:52 PM

ORIGINAL: shoortbuss

ORIGINAL: rangerscott

Homework done and yes its a fake image trying to fit a hdtv. A+
If it was my class you would have failed...

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com...converter2.htm

There's a whole lot more going on there than "stretching" an image. To say it's not true HD is absolutely correct, but there's quite a bit to it and it looks a hell of a lot better than playing a DVD and fitting it to the width of your HDTV.

I know there's more to it. But the main thing is its making something small into something bigger.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:53 PM

I own and sell blu ray players as well as home theater products, (no not at Best Buy), and Blu Ray destroys all other players on the market. Now all BD players do upscale to 1080p but you will need a good cable. I'm not saying get the best of the best but Monster does make a good cable, just pricy. For shorter lengths you can get away with a cheaper cable but if you are going longer lengths you need a good cable especially if you are running blu ray/or a PS3 because they can support the bandwidth. Monster is more expensive but they are also the only cables on the market that are speed rated as far as their bandwidth. If you are running a PS3 and have a 120hz LCD you need a cable rated for atleast 10.2Gbs (Monster HDMI 1000) because the PS3 is the only device on the market that actually runs at 120hz.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:16 PM

How is the sound quality for those streams?

Right now all i know is blu-ray rocks! [sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Old 11-19-2008, 08:28 PM

There is one blu ray movie out there that sucks at quality (remastered) that I've read able a couple of times. Its sad cause its a classic.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:00 PM

Bluray owns. Get that and a panasonic 1080p plasma and you're set. Best tv for the money. I work at best buy and last week we had a deal where if you bought the tv you got a FREE panasonic blu ray player. And just for the record a blu ray IS an upconverter as well, so even if you have a lot of dvds, buy a blu ray and use it to play dvd, and from now on simply buy bluray movies.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:20 PM

I already own super secret goverment alien space shuttle 100x better quality flu ray quality. It makes your eyes BLEEEEEEEDDDD!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H25lz7gchaw

Old 11-20-2008, 09:25 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: triax

Monster is more expensive but they are also the only cables on the market that are speed rated as far as their bandwidth. If you are running a PS3 and have a 120hz LCD you need a cable rated for atleast 10.2Gbs (Monster HDMI 1000) because the PS3 is the only device on the market that actually runs at 120hz.
Dude, do you have any clue what you are talking about or are you just repeating what you learned in training??? Monster cables ARE NOT the only speed rated cable on the market. ALL certified HDMI cables are speed rated.

HDMI 1.3 is "speed rated" for 10.2Gbs, which is340 Mhz. Therefore, I will stick with my $13 HDMI 1.3b Category 2 rated cable. If anybody payed $100 or more for a Monster HDMI 1000, feel free to bring it to my house. We can swap it with my cable and test it on my 46" 1080p LCD on my PS3...and then I can watch you shake your head when you realized how bad you got ripped off.

http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/overview.aspx

Old 11-20-2008, 09:32 AM

Monster is good for some audio cables (not speaker wire) but yeah, HDMI cables are HDMI cables. I think I got mine for $6 or something and the optical for even less than that.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:29 AM

For short lengths yes any 1.3 cable will work but longer lengths of cables need to be better quality, referring to Monster 1000 series. I myself have run cheaper cables on my projector and noticed immediate image quality being sacrificed. Monoprice.com is a great place to get cheap cables, I've run a 35ft cable and noticed lots a tearing in my image as well as pixelation, but when using a better cable (RIX Labs), all that went away. I may have got a bad cable but their is a noticable difference when using the proper cable.

Quick Reply: Blu-ray versus upconversion