Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Bike for a small girl?????

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike for a small girl?????

Ok so I have this friend of mine who is totally into bikes. She really really really wants to get into riding...BUT...shes tiny. About 5'0 tall and skinny. She asked me to help her out and try to find a bike that she could handle. Sooooo what do you guys/gals think would be a good bike for her? She has pretty much zero experiance and shes taking the MSF course soon. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks All!

Old 09-19-2006, 01:15 PM
Retired Moderator
Default RE: Bike for a small girl?????

Depending what you friend wants to do on a bike, she should look at a Honda rebel. It's a little 250 (you can get older ones in a 450), they are about three grand brand new, and they have a small frame that is light. I am looking at this bike for my wife, and she is 5' 1" and 125 lbs.

Old 09-19-2006, 02:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could always add a lowering link and shave the seat, that is what i was debating before i knew if i could fit on a 600. i am 5'5".

Old 09-19-2006, 02:37 PM

So you really think she could handle a 600 at 5'0 maybe 100 pounds???? I dont know if shes ever even been on a bike much less taken control of one. Im really worried about recommending something that will get her hurt or worse....... Maybe I should just tell her forget about it so I dont lose any sleep at night haha.

Old 09-19-2006, 02:41 PM

my wife is 5'6 and a buck thirty and handles her ninja 250 well enough. I want to move her up to a higher CC bike (the 250 just doesnt have the getup needed, although its top speed is fine) and have been looking at F4i's and SV650's or Kawa's new Ninja 650. I think bikes that are well balanced can be handled just as easily as a light bike, but she is worried about its weight...

Old 09-19-2006, 02:48 PM

How about a moped? What kind of riding are you looking into? Canyon or city riding? Here in SF, there are alot of moped riders here in the city, because of the gridlock and what not. I also recommend, not going against honda or anything maybe a 98 or 97 YZF R6 or a similar bike. The R6 is lightwieght for those earlier years and lower than most of the bikes of that year. None the less, any bike where she can put both feet flat on the ground and if she learns to control the clutch and proper braking techniques she should be up and riding a 1k in no time! lol jk about the 1k.

Old 09-19-2006, 02:59 PM

1K haha. yeah I think Im most worried about her feet touching the ground. Not that she wouldnt be confident or be able to handle the bike. I guess maybe just get a lowering link for her and set up which ever bike she gets with that.... I dont think shes much into mopeds.. Im thinking she wants a more sporty looking bike.

Old 09-19-2006, 05:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

by all means i didnt mean to get her a 600 to start. unless it an 80s model, but they still pack a punch. i was just offering suggestions on the height issue since it was one i was worried about before i started riding. i would definitely get her something smaller, once she is used to it, then she should move up to bigger bike, as with any n00b.

Old 09-19-2006, 05:58 PM

+1 voodoo on the rebel idea. I have a friend who is about as small as that girl and she loves ridin the rebel. Very easy to learn how to ride.

Old 09-19-2006, 06:07 PM

Have her go to a showroom and sit on bikes, don't let her sit on something that she will get obsessed with and pull the 'have to have it, I don't care how much power it has'. Once a bike is found to be comfortable, talk to the dealer about lowering or suspension adjustments to get it at the proper ride heighth and what not. You don't have to buy from them it's just a general overview of whats out there and what each bike has the potential to be, then you can take that knowledge and apply it to a 3rd party seller or wherever you decide to purchase it from. Good luck with the shopping!

Quick Reply: Bike for a small girl?????