Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Beware of Craiglist / Nor Cal area alert

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beware of Craiglist / Nor Cal area alert

I bought my 929 from what seemed to be a very nice kid. The bike is clean titled with a black paint job, and it was currently registered so all I had to do was pay sales tax.

After having it for about a month the CHP investigators came and took the bike from me b/c even though the frame was clear, the numbers stamped on the engine didnt match the bike, and for that matter didnt match any bike. It took over a month, and finally state farm insurance who insured the engine when it was stolen with a 929 back in 05, decided that paying 500.00 to get the engine removed and what not wasnt worth it so they sold it back to me for 0.00 meaning I got my bike back in one piece. I dont know how the DMV let this slip by them, but luckily the clean frame allowed me to not lose all the money I gave this guy.

In short make sure the frame matches the engine before you buy something even if it has a clean title, and is currently registered. I lucked out, but most people probably do not.

It might seem pointless of CHP to go through all of this trouble just to give it back, but the good thing is that they earn there money by gathering evidence to take bad people like this down.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Beware of Craiglist / Nor Cal area alert

I had to make sure I got the title to the new engine I put in mine for this very reason. How did they end up knowing the engine was not matching to begin with?

Old 11-16-2007, 12:44 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

yea i'd like to know that too .. because they dont just randomly come around checking to make sure your clean title frame has the same motor ... because people do swap them out.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:59 PM

wow. good for you. so do you have to do anything about it now?

Old 11-16-2007, 10:33 PM

"Something smells fishy in suburbia...."
RB

Old 11-18-2007, 02:54 PM

thats some nutty stuff. i would never image that they would diligently search or keep track of engine codes.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:47 PM

Sorry I didnt reply earlier guys. . . I was wondering the same thing about how they came on to me so quick. The investigator said that the guy who sold it to me is known for some shisty chopping of bikes. They wanted the whole bike, but couldnt b/c the frame was clean. When State Farm Insurance found out they had to pay to remove the engine they just sold it back to me for 0.00.

I still dont know exactly why they wouldnt check it while it was in his hands, but I do recall him telling me he had to "store it" at his brothers b/c he couldnt afford the insurance on it. Seemed legit at the time, but it was prolly all b.s. I just rewired the fuel pump and shes starting right up. Too bad i had a car pull out in front of me the other day totaling the R1 and sending me down the road. I came out pretty good just banged up my lower back and heel pretty good coming off of a mid air flip.