Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

'BEST' sports bike for 2-up riding?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 02:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 'BEST' sports bike for 2-up riding?

Hey guys, from experiance and stories etc, what is the best type of sports bike for a mix of fast riding, town riding, 2-up riding and generally all types of riding?

In my opinion the CBR 600f is probably one of the best, with its 100+BHP nice big seat (nanna version) and as it sits somewhere between sports tourer and super sports. That's why I bought one. But when i'm ready to upgrade to a bigger bike, what in the sports category would suit carrying a pillion every now and again?

I've heared the GSXR1000 K5 is meant to be pretty good, with it's pillion rider perch height etc, But can you suggest any others?

I know this is a hard thing to find out especially with the nature of the question, maybe impossible infact. But if you could come up with an answer, what would it be?

Old 02-03-2011, 10:42 AM

My 600 f2 was GREAT for two up riding. My split seat f4i not so much

Old 02-03-2011, 03:37 PM

I had a 1997 YZF 1000 I wished I still had.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:34 PM

I guess it all depends on who your concerned with, the rider, or the passenger. Most modern sportbikes will be very harsh on the passenger for anything longer than an hour.

If I was going to buy a bike for long distance two up, I'd buy an 1100XX. they are a big and bit heavy, but their not as drastic in the power as a literbike. They are labeled as more of a sport touring bike, but still full fairing. The VFR series may be something you want to look at as well. But, if your wanting to go to the liter bikes, 02-03 R1's are extremely comfortable two up riding. Im not sure on the earlier ones, and the 04 on up are bit lacking in the seat area. I just don't like the way the R1's handle, but they are pretty comforable.

The worst bike..... my 1000RR.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:49 AM

thanks justasquid, very informative

Old 02-05-2011, 08:02 AM

i did a stack of two riding on my 2001 f4i. The wife and i both found it extremely comfy.

I suppose the other things you need to consider would be the size of you and your pillion and also bike settings and how easy they are to adjust.

mat

Old 02-05-2011, 02:28 PM

i have 636 ninja and sometimes i take passengers. But I have a problem. They keep sliding down into my seat, they don't stay on the pillion. How do I keep them up there? It feels funky because whenever I see pictures of people two up, their bodies are touching each other and they can lean on each other. But on my bike, with the split seat, only their hands are touching me. So we are separated and I feel like they might fall off. hmm when the girl is skinny I let them slide down cuz there is room. lol i guess split seat sport bikes are not really meant for 2 up anyways.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:37 PM

04 f4i with the banana seat was way more comfy over my 05 600rr.

only thing i can compare for 2 up riding.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:40 AM

They keep sliding down into my seat, they don't stay on the pillion. How do I keep them up there?
it might be your driving habits. My wife stays put in her seat just fine. If you are braking hard, or so much front brake your nose diving the bike, it may cause them to slide forward.

But I think the real issue is the fact that you said their hands are on you. They should have their arms along your side with their hands on the gas tank. that way, they can support themselves when your braking. They can use their elbows and legs to hold onto you.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sliding onto the rider is a common problem, basically because of the material the seat is made out of & on modern bikes the pillion perch is higher, most pillion new to riding have a fear of falling off under acceleration & compensate by moving forward + under braking they slide forward & worry about repositioning themselves. You have to look for a bike with good grab rails & more importantly, your passenger has to learn to use their legs & arms to support themselves. A lot of sports bike,the pillion seat is an after thought & because of the angle of the pipes can make leg room almost impossible & on some bikes like Ducati's, painful from exhaust burns.
Good tourers which comes to mind are the Honda VFR's & the Triumph Sprint ST (& earlier model CBR's of course)
The newer model VFR's & ST's have the exhausts exiting from under the rear of the seat.
The pre 2005 model ST's had adjustable pipes which could be lowered when carrying a pillion. An alternative if comfort is king & you have the reddies, a fully loaded Goldwing is hard to beat for two up touring.

Last edited by pacemaker; 02-06-2011 at 03:28 AM.

Quick Reply: 'BEST' sports bike for 2-up riding?