Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Best Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 02:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best Helmet

I have a shoei rf-1000 badge for the street and suomy spec-1r xaus replica for my track days and bike week cause its a sweet *** helmet! but the shoei TZ-R isnt a bad helmet vents well and looks good u can get a decent price on on too around 300 if u look around! Also make sure u shope around i paid 320 for my soumy which is a 500 dollar helmet....watch for sales helmets are always on sale and ebay stores! As for comfort i think the rf-1000 is the most comfortable...just make sure u shop around u can get a high end helmet for less then 350 any day of the week.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:58 PM

i like my Shoei RF-1000.... got it $100 cheaper than in stores on Ebay!

Old 03-27-2007, 03:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

alrighty then.....

as with any other product that has already been mentioned, price does not negate protection! when you buy a caddy, you dont spend the extra Gs on more protection, you are buying a name and the materials used to produce it. leather, GPS, etc....ya know, the bells and whistles. the more expensive helmets undoubtably look cooler, and have more R&D go into their ventilation/aerodynamics, but does that make them safer?

there was an article about a study that compared cheap helmets VS expensive helmets. in this study they discovered that the cheaper helmets are actually better than the expensives ones. WHY? because more expensive helmets (in general) are rated for double impact, your head bouncing twice, which means the protection insulation must withstand the first impact enough to withstand a second. in this study they concluded that very seldom do accidents involve double impacts. what this means, is that during your first and typically only impact, your head absorbs more of the impact since the insulation must remain strong for a second impact, resulting in often more trauma for the head. i dont have a link now, but i am trying to get it from a buddy....will post once i have it.

the helmets breaking thing reminds me of this guy that come on here saying, i bought these gloves and they are $hit, i went down and they tore to pieces. then someone asked if he had any rash on his hands....course not, cause the gloves took the beating, they did their job. same thing with helmets people.

if you drop your helmet from higher than 3 ft, its supposed to be replaced as well since the integrity of the insulation can be jeopardized.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:14 PM

I like my ICON Holligan. I love the air ducts on the top, they look badass.

Old 03-27-2007, 04:18 PM

1) Make sure the helmet is DOT/Snell approved
2) Make sure the helmet fits correctly and is comfortable
3) Make sure the helmet looks cool

Follow these steps in order, and I promise you that no matter how much you spend, you will end up happy.

Old 03-27-2007, 04:34 PM

i got a shoei picotte and an icon mainframe hooligan...difference is like night and day. the icon aint bad for the price, but if ur willing to put down some money then i suggest goin with shoei, nice and lightweight

Old 03-27-2007, 07:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is the link to the article....its long, very long, but its worth the read if you have 30 mins. and its from Motorcyclist Magazine.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...helmet_review/

Old 03-27-2007, 08:07 PM

I'd say go with a reputable company...(Arai, Shoei, KBC, etc.) I've only been able to ride Arai cause that;s what fits my head so damn perfectly! Scorpions seem like an inexpensive yet good product to go with...Haven;t really heard anything about them except they dont fit my head. I think theyre comign out wiht a new model in a few weeks...

Old 03-31-2007, 07:19 AM

I'm not going to go into major discussion on this topic since there is always a debate on the best helmets and their prices. I have three helmets. An Icon Mainframe, an Arai RX-7 Corsair and an AGV TiTech. I will strongly recommend staying away from Icon as their helmets are absolute garbage. They weigh a considerable amount and their build quality is poor. The Arai is an outstanding helmet if you're willing to pay the price. The AGV is not cheap either but it is also on par with Arai. I can not comment on any other manufacturers because these three are all I've ever owned. I use the RX-7 for the street and the TiTech for the track and the Mainframe is just for decorating the entrance of my apartment.

ORIGINAL: n_vanexel31

I'm looking to buy a new helmet before riding season hits. I'm looking for quality that is reasonably priced (if there is such a thing). Maybe ICON or SHOEI? Any input will be appreciated.

Old 03-31-2007, 11:00 AM

I have this LN Scorpion for sale, XL size, Mint condition, 75.00 shipped to your door, if your in th CT US.

[IMG]local://upfiles/14475/3DFAE4220850468D952D1D9A5A7DEA7B.jpg[/IMG]

PS: Ths helmet new was over $200.00

Quick Reply: Best Helmet