Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Best Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 01:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best Helmet

Paying a lot of money for a lid is not a bad thing. You need to go to a shop and try them on. My head fits shoei well. But AGV hurts my head like hell. The sharks felt wierd and the arais were ok for me. I love my shoei. Arai, Shoei, Suomy are worth the money. You do pay for a name as well but you also pay for the best in looks, performance and protection. What ever you get like the others said make sure it is comfy and is DOT SNELL aproved.

When you try it on it should have slight pressue on the cheeks. Once on shake your head side to side like saying no. If it moves around a lot its not the right size or shape for you. The helmet should not move around at all really. Then grab the chin piece and pull to one side. The side you pulled towards stick a finger between your cheek and cheek pad. if it goes in snug its all gravy. Repeat on other side. Even if it seems a bit snug it will break in and lossen up. You do not want it loose because it will move around at higher speeds.

Hope this helps a lil

Old 02-22-2007, 01:38 AM

I have a HJC CL-12 works for me...just vents like crap...

Old 02-22-2007, 02:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: woodyracing

I like Scorpion, the new Exo-1000 should be awesome, but the Exo-700 is a great helmet for a great price

+1 i love my scorpion helmet, and it was less than 200 bucks, you could buy 2 of em for the price of a basic shoei
either way theyre all gonna save your life

Old 02-22-2007, 03:11 AM
Banned

I like my Icon helmet, thank you very much.

I've tried on HJC's, Akuma, KBC and an Arai and the most comfortable was hands down the Icon that I ended up getting. None of the others had a size that was just right. The Icon fit perfectly, snug and cozy.

What it boils down to, is safety and comfort. If you're gonna go off the beaten path, do your research on the manufacturer. Buy something you like, is DOT approved and fits comfortably.

Also, whoever's visor flipped up during a ride - I just don't see it. If that happened, it makes me wonder about a couple of things, how old is yhour helmet, and what condition is it in?

I can open my visor halfway at 70-80mph and it doens't move a bit. I don't see how yours just flopped openunless the thing was old and/or worn to crap. I also don't think that would be anything specific to one manufacturer... as I said - prolly a taxed *** helmet that wasn't taken care of.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:50 AM

I've seen 2 Icon helmets in person split wide open by slow crashes...

no thanks

Old 02-22-2007, 12:12 PM
Banned

I understand your point... but let's be fair.

Icon is aboslutely not alone in the anomoly department. **** happens sometimes. I have a buddywho, in his infinite wisdom, took his Shoei full face helmet to the sand dunes in Oklahoma (has a Banshee). He ate it at about 15mph, ON SAND, and smacked his forehead on the quad's bars... split that sonfabitch right cross the front, right above the visor.

So while I can understand your hesitation - **** happens man. Even to a $500 Shoei helmet.

Again, get something DOT certified and that fits comfortably. That's really all you can do - the rest is up to fate.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:15 PM

i have a Shoei RF-1000, and it is the most comfortable helmet i have ever put on. I had an HJC AC-11 before and crashed....hit my head, and couldnt see for 20 minutes. Put it this way...YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. Or you can put it this way...HOW EXPENSIVE IS YOUR HEAD? PRICE OUT THE HELMET ACCORDING TO THE PRICE OF YOUR SKULL AND BRAIN...Shoei and Arai are the only two helmets anyone should ever buy. I got my Shoei off Ebay for 365, retail is 450.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:29 PM
Registered Users

I've had Shoei, HJC, KBC, Scorpion, and Icon. So far, the Icon suits me best and I wear the de-badged (stickerless) Icon Domain ($260 from newenough.com). I have a Scorpion helmet as my passenger lid.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:40 PM
Banned

Leveltwo...

it's ridiculous to imagine that the price of a helmet relates to protection. I mean, to a point.

I wouldn't buy a helmet for $40 and expect much. But once you reach the $150-200 range - you're getting a solid, tested helmet.

Shoei and Arai the only helmets anyone should ever buy...

Oh come on, puh-leez.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:56 PM

I just got my ICON Mainframe for my b-day and I love it. I got for $212 off ebay and it is a $280 retail.

Quick Reply: Best Helmet