Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

best guitar player!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best guitar player!

who is,in you're opinion,the best guitar player and why?!!!!

Old 11-18-2006, 07:54 PM
Retired Moderator
Default RE: best guitar player!

Jimi Hendrix. I'll tell you why: He re-invented what you could do with the guitar. The best players in the world at the time were Pete Townsend and Eric Clapton. Compare their playing styles with what Jimi was doing and there is no comparison. His use of feedback as a ligitimate sound was unheard of. When he couldn't find a pedal to make the sound he wanted, he invented it. His rhythm guitar playing is the best I have ever heard. Listen to "Little Wing" sometime and you'll hear what I am talking about. Now you might say, what about guys like Satch and Steve Vai and Yngwie Malmsteen...they smoke Jimi. Well, technically, they may play faster, but Jimi died almost fourty years ago, and he is STILL as big of a guitar influence as anyone else today. In fact, if you ask any of your guitar heroes what they think of Jimi and I'd bet he would be in everyone's top 3 if not their top pick. In my opinion, what he did transcended music. He busted through every limitation guitar players ever put on themselves.
Second: Stevie Ray. He is responsible for breathing life back into the blues. Think about when he came out in the 80's. People were listening to **** like "Flock of Seagulls" and "Depeche Mode"...music that didn't even have guitars in them. He jumped into the middle of the electric music "revolution" with his Strat, a Tube Screamer, and a Fender amp, and beacome one of the most beloved guitar players of all times. Eric Clapton said the first time he heard Stevie Ray, he had to pull his car over to ther side of the road. He was that moved. Stevie was actually my first guitar hero. The first time I heard "Rude Mood" I rewound and listened to it like six times in a row. I just couldn't believe what I was hearing!
Third: Jeff Beck. Jeff Beck is my facorite "living" guitar player. His imagination is unrivaled. The thing I like best about Jeff Beck is he will be playing the guitar like a regular person, then out of nowhere, he will start making notes or sounds that I can't even comprehend. I hear the sound, but I literally cannot imagine how he is doing it. Perhaps the most creative guitar player I have ever heard. He has played so many styles of music, everything from disco to fusion to electronic. I love it all!

Old 11-18-2006, 08:10 PM

Voodoo --- I'm very disappointed in you. I can't believe that Roy Clark from Hee-Haw didn't make it into your top 3!

Old 11-18-2006, 08:20 PM
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: OldFatGuy

Voodoo --- I'm very disappointed in you. I can't believe that Roy Clark from Hee-Haw didn't make it into your top 3!
Actually, he is a damn fine guitar picker...we'll just have to keep him in your top three

Old 11-18-2006, 08:33 PM

David Gilmore of Pink Floyd, Eric Johnson, Eddie VanHalen, Joe Satriani..............

Old 11-18-2006, 09:13 PM

Angus, Eddie, SRV, Hendrix, Vai, Satriani, Rhodes, Clapton, to name a few but many greats. SRV didn't live long enough for most people to appreciate his greatness. Same goes for Randy Rhodes. RIP to both. If there was a greatest I would pick SRV even though he was more blues than rock.

Old 11-18-2006, 11:03 PM

randy rhoads!![sm=smiley20.gif]
i like the way he mixed classical w/blues rock

o8

Old 11-19-2006, 11:39 AM

KIRK HAMMETT, JOE SATRIANI, YNGWIE MALMSTEEN, AND STEVE VAI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ANY QUESTIONS?

Old 11-19-2006, 12:02 PM

Jimi Hendrix is the greatest guitar player ever, but the greatest guitarist alive now is Tom Morrello. He is the new Jimi! Some of the sounds from Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave albums are very innovative for the guitar!

Old 11-19-2006, 12:07 PM
Banned

Jonny Ramone proved that talent and greatness could be mutually exclusive. All the previous players (Angus, Eddie, SRV, Hendrix, Vai, Satriani, Rhodes, Clapton, Beck)may have been virtuosos, but Johnny inspired millions of young people with no musical ability to follow their dreams. This gave us Rap music, techno and house. His 3 chords motivated every truly terrible band that you will see on MTV, Fuse and VH1, he made all those no-talent zeros believe that they were the second coming of Jimmy Page (and Hendrix...)

Quick Reply: best guitar player!