Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Ban Crotch Rockets!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 02:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ban Crotch Rockets!!!

ORIGINAL: rtbconstrictors

Telgren - please explain to me what the officer tried to do? please tell me how he was exceeded his driving limits? How did the officer try to kill the rider in question? where did the article say he purposely swerved in front of the motorcycle and tried to make him crash? Do you know how hard it is to keep up with a motorcycle with one vehicle let alone contain it with three or more? How did the officer overextend his abilities? no one even knows why the motorcycle was running in the first place.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13947/D78E26A3005A4B11AAB41A239D330C62.jpg[/IMG]
Yes the bike is at fault for failing to stop, I dont think that anyone in their right mind will disagree. What I have the problem with is this:
It started at about 7 p.m. when a Prince George's County police officer spotted a speeding motorcycle and positioned himself to stop it on the inner loop, police said. The motorcycle rider swerved in front of a civilian car and sped away, causing the officer's car to hit the civilian's.
From this statement, it would imply the officer was already in front of the motorcycle, and purposely swerved in front of the bike in the attempt to get him to hit the officer's vehicle. Faced with speeds in excess of 65 mph, the bike had one of two options:

1) hit the brakes, if he was lucky reduce his speed to we will say 40 mph and hit 6,000lbs of police car. This probably would have resulted in a spectacular crash with the bike and rider lucky not to end up in smears all over the road.

2) swerve to avoid the accident

I know pretty much everyone has had someone pull out in front of them and swerved to avoid an accident, except this was done at interstate speeds. Can I really blame the rider from avoiding death? No. Was he in the wrong for doing what he did to begin with? Yes.

What greatly upsets me is the way that the offiicer reacted. He was already in front of the bike, and I sure as hell know that the bike can't outrun the radio that sits in every police car in the world. Instead the officer took it upon himself to place himself in a grave situation where he intentionlly positioned himself and others in a great place of danger. It was already said that all officers knew about the bike, so a radio call would have been easy to alert everyone.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:47 AM

you could interpet that in a million ways though i mean its not clear at all what he really did though telgren. i mean he could have slamed on his brakes. or he could have been swerving back and forth in front of the bike trying to slowly bring the bike down to speed have you ever come up on a car on the interstate doing 30 and your doing 70. its really hard to say what he was trying to do its not clear all. its not even clear why they were pursuing him except some one said a fellony. i mean if he did jam on the brakes infront of him and was told that the guy was armed and extremely dangerus would you agree with stoping him at the cost of the bikers life?

Old 06-03-2007, 08:50 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: telgren

It was already said that all officers knew about the bike, so a radio call would have been easy to alert everyone.
A radio call to do what? Yes, a bike cannot outrun a radio, but how exactly does the radio stop the bike? It doesn't, therefore, he would have to call ahead and have ANOTHER cop try and stop the bike in the same way he was already doing. (by getting in front of the bike and doing a rolling road block to slow the biker down).

They use the same maneuvers with cars, why not bikes? If people expect officers to use the same force with bikes as with cars, and maybe they wouldn't run.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:39 PM

why even argue this... accidents happen everyday .. and most of the time its because someone isnt paying attention, something makes a decision with out thinking,plain stupidity and theoccasional "hand of god" ... instead of arguing overwhos faultthe accident was maybe you should take a step backand remember the next time you think aboutdoing something stupid how directlyyour decisions effect other people that you may not even be aware of

Old 06-03-2007, 07:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

ORIGINAL: telgren

It was already said that all officers knew about the bike, so a radio call would have been easy to alert everyone.
A radio call to do what? Yes, a bike cannot outrun a radio, but how exactly does the radio stop the bike? It doesn't, therefore, he would have to call ahead and have ANOTHER cop try and stop the bike in the same way he was already doing. (by getting in front of the bike and doing a rolling road block to slow the biker down).

They use the same maneuvers with cars, why not bikes? If people expect officers to use the same force with bikes as with cars, and maybe they wouldn't run.
from everything I have read and seen about this incident, its in my humble opinion that the police officer was trying to forcibly ram/kill the driver. Thats what pisses me off... I have respect for law enforcement, but some of the new ********* out there seem to have a grudge against anyone and everyone, especially those on sportbikes. Everytime some f**king idiot like this does something like run away, he is giving the rest of us a bad name. So who is to say the next time anyone of us is out riding on one of our favorite roads, and some officer decides that due to the sound of the bike we are excessively speeding? He will think of what happened in DC, and instead of being more careful, they will probably become more prolific in their efforts to seriously stop us. I know that 99.99% of us will stop with the lights and sirens flashing behind us, but do all cops think that sportbikes are a grave danger to society now? I bet a good portion of them do at least. So do I believe they will try different tactics when they view us as a danger? I can see spike strips on routine traffic stops because some homo on a black bike ruined it for us all.

Yeah I am ranting... but it pisses me off. Even last night as I was taking a nice slow relaxing cruise through town, I came upon a stoplight with our local bike cop. Pulled up next to him, looked at him, smiled, gave a friendly wave, and the a$$hole didnt have the courtesy to return it. WTF. This past fall riders at the sturgis rally physically shot at each other, not one or two lone shots but guys unloading clips at each other while riding. Do they get looked at any harder? No. Hell they seem to be the only ones who drink and ride, but why bother with guys like that? I can promise you within the next year someone will come out with a story where a biker was killed for no better reason than the cop was scarred of the situation, didnt think, and purposely swerve and kill him.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:14 PM

Ban stupid cops. Those two people would still be alive if it wasn't for dumb cops making dumb decisions like hitting cagers. What a dumbass, hope that cop burns in hell.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:24 PM

The one thing that seems pretty clear from the original article is that the biker clearly drove through the situation. I would never run, but at the same time i would never run into something on purpose.

This guy ran and got away by driving through every situation put in front of him that day. He was clearly in control of his vehicle, i don't know how the blame for death's could be put on him. Again he was very wrong to run, but he was a better driver, clearly. We all know when you on your bike you ride for your life every day. It's not like driving your SUV on the rainy days... Your focus is to drive the rocket between your legs..

You can't ban sport bikes... the outrage would be huge, but Honda, Yamaha, insurance companies, tire companies etc would never let that happen.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:25 PM
Retired Moderator

I've just had a revelation! All cops suck, they should all be shot to death or electrocuted and then have to go to hell where their guts will be eaten for all eternity by hell hounds. They should never chase anyone everbecause even if there is aminute percentage of collateral damage, that is too high a price to pay. Why stop there, let's ban all police forces across the country forever, then for sure, we wouldn't have anything to fear from the dreaded, overbearing, evil of "the law". G.D. police anyway, I can't even comprehend the purpose they serve. "Protect and Serve" my ***...all they do is murder civilians, throw innocent people in jail, run over puppies and bunnys, and make fun of handicapped children...rotten sons-a-bitches! Glad I read this thread or I wouldn't have know better.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: K0NPHL1C7

Perhaps the Police should use good judgment and call off a chace when it involves a sportbike.
Bullcrap, then all the punk little wanna be racers and squidswould taunt them and just run. There is no way your answer has any validity at all. I can see at least 50 people here that have posted junk that tells me they would do it, and that's just plain sad.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:51 PM

Voodoochyl - you forgot pull people over for no reason and write BS tickets and harass guys on sport bikes.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13947/C5AB54D2E6FA4DCF960C4C220A72BD66.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Ban Crotch Rockets!!!