Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Apparently Neutral on my bike is between gears 3 and 4

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 07:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Apparently Neutral on my bike is between gears 3 and 4

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

Never had that happen. The only thing that happens to me is missing 2nd gear and going into neutral from first.
ya I hate that...

Old 05-27-2008, 08:17 AM

I had that happen this Sunday. It's a strange feeling for sure and freaks you out for a sec. The trans is the F4's and F4i's seems the be funny like that.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:51 AM

yup, had it happen like 3 times in one sessonwhen I was at Barber a couple of weeks ago. you get a little pucker when you go diving into turn 1 of the straight from 130mph+ and realize youve hit a false nuetral and you have to tip it in....NOW.[sm=yikesomg.gif] it happened in a few other corners too.

but it was my own fault. I had recently put woodcraft rearsets on, and with my new track plastic I had to put a shorter rod on the shifter and didnt have it in the "optimum" position for my foot positioning. therefor I was not fully engaging when downshifting.

false neutrals suck

Old 05-27-2008, 09:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never had that happen. The only thing that happens to me is missing 2nd gear and going into neutral from first.
+1, I hate that too. Sometimes it shifts into 2nd and then I throttle it up and it pops back down into N, that really sucks, it will scare ya when the bike screams and you don't go anywhere. As for the false neutrals, I've had that happen about 3-4 times over the last 2 years.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:18 AM

haha. that really sucks... espically when you try to impress the lady-types.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:58 PM

I've had it happen to me too. Maybe 3-4 times in the 2 years I've had my bike. Last couple times I had to stop real quick and came to a stop in 2nd or 3rd gear, and it happend when I tried downshifiting at a stop. It won't downshift so I let out the clutch a little to move the bike a little and all the sudden I get the click click click.... you guys are talkin about. Scares the hell out of me, but it will eventually go down to neutral.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:09 PM

im the same way on the 1st to N think if i**** too light going into 2nd gear, about 3-4 times per year or so, man it sucks and freaks you out.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:20 PM

ORIGINAL: rrasco

+1, I hate that too. Sometimes it shifts into 2nd and then I throttle it up and it pops back down into N, that really sucks, it will scare ya when the bike screams and you don't go anywhere. As for the false neutrals, I've had that happen about 3-4 times over the last 2 years.
I had the click, click, click thig happen on my old F4i, once or twice, and I thought I blew out a gear when it first happened, it sounded terrible...but it hasn't happened on my 600 RR yet, almost 2,000 miles. I have done the first to N thing and then the engine screams when you crack the throttle, man that sucks, and it's embarrasing...but it seems to happen when I am tired and I am not lifting my foot all the way to totally complete the shift...I chalk it up to fatigue because it only seems to happen when I am riding for a long time and never seems to happen when I first get on the bike.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:35 PM

i've hit neutral on a shift from 1st to 2nd also, but it was onlywhen i wasracing and doing a quick shift when i was new (still could be considered new maybe)on the bike, havnt done it forseveral months now

Old 07-05-2008, 11:40 AM

I think it's a design flaw, I came off a SV650S, straight on to my 06' F4i, and have had about 3-4 false neutrals in about 2 weeks. Never had one on my SV, a cheaper bike. I have to move the shifter further to shift it, where as the SV shifted tight.

Quick Reply: Apparently Neutral on my bike is between gears 3 and 4