Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

anyone made a street legal CR,YZ,KX,RM?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 03:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone made a street legal CR,YZ,KX,RM?

hey i am lookin at buyin a thumper bike (CRF 450) and making it street legal.. puting some super moto rims and tires on... i know that baja designs makes a street legal "kit" but that doesnt mean that i can 100% get it street legal... has anyone ever goten a CR or YZ exc. street legal threw the DMV?? here in arizona the DMV has an emmisions test too! otherwise i would get a CR500!

Old 09-19-2006, 05:29 AM
Default RE: anyone made a street legal CR,YZ,KX,RM?

The biggie is would your insurance co. insure it for street use?

Old 09-19-2006, 12:27 PM

ya i already checked threw progressive... they have the bikes listed as YZ=WR CRF=CRFX ext. the WR is basically the same bike as the YZ just a wide ratio gear box and head light and tail light.

Old 09-19-2006, 03:26 PM

The proper name for those converted bikes are called 'Motards' if I'm not mistaken.

Old 09-19-2006, 07:07 PM

If I was you i would buy a crf 450x not a 450r. The x comes with a headlight the r is the race model. I believe you can buy a kit that installs in under an hour to make it street legal. Maybe a couple hundred bucks. But then you would need street tires and if you wanted to go all out you could get the supermoto rims and brakes. (Not cheap)

Old 09-19-2006, 07:53 PM

ORIGINAL: transamlt1man

If I was you i would buy a crf 450x not a 450r. The x comes with a headlight the r is the race model. I believe you can buy a kit that installs in under an hour to make it street legal. Maybe a couple hundred bucks. But then you would need street tires and if you wanted to go all out you could get the supermoto rims and brakes. (Not cheap)
I dont want the X model because it has a wide ratio gear box.. i am planning on racing motocross with the bike as well... i am buying a set of super moto wheels for $600 from my buddy.. nobody answerd my question! i already know how to "MAKE" the bike! i dont know the legality of it!

Old 09-20-2006, 02:26 PM

In Arizona they will ticket you even if the bike is street legal. Corrupt cops out there, don't fck with them at all. They also have the right to shoot at you or clip you if you run. Check with the DMV to get all the guidelines and requirements for the mod. Also if you get stopped they will ask for Insurance, and I don't think any place in Arizona insures bikes that have been severely modified (according them).

Old 09-21-2006, 12:02 AM

cops usually dont waste there time chasing you if your on a bike like ours unless you are wanted for sumthing more then a traffic violation... my step dad was a state tropper for 32 years.. and actually the cops down here arnt bad... i always see those yamaha rhinos on the road! and they have blinkers and everything! they cant ticket you for no reason.. and if the reason isnt ligit you can take it too court.. sometimes the cop wont even show up for the hearing and that means he forfits...

Old 09-21-2006, 01:30 AM

ORIGINAL: ddvs

The proper name for those converted bikes are called 'Motards' if I'm not mistaken.
Enduro would be a much more appropriate term but motard works.

I made my DR 350 street legal. I bought the SM (street model) because I wanted the light for night riding and then I figured it would be a rad street bike too. I got some street legal knobbies a brake light and some turn signals. The dmv allowed it. I never mounted the plate properly but I've never been pulled over. And as for emissions, since my bike is a 92 they werent concerned with emissions. Just a warning: these bikes will get you in trouble.

Old 09-21-2006, 04:58 AM

Ok, i am going to clear things up here before they get crazy! The word "motard" comes from a style of racing called "super motard" or "super moto". your DR350 was never a Dual Sport (street model) if you had to put blinkers, appropriat tires ext. Blinkers, tires ext. must come from the factory for it be considerd a Dual Sport. your bike was simply an "enduro".

Enduros are much easier to convert into street legal bikes then the Motocross bikes. The enduros already have a stator designed for lights and accesories. And they obviosly come with lights which is one less thing you have to deal with if you want to make it street legal.

My original question was that has anyone ever had a "motocross bike" (CR,RM,YZ,KX) street legal threw the DMV. The reason i dont want an enduro is because most are de-tuned and have different gear ratios. I wanted to make a REAL super moto bike street legal and rip of the street wheels and slip on some dirt ones in less then an hour so i can ride it TO the track and race it ON the track on the weekends and still have the bike as an every day mode of transportaion with the street wheels! And yes, i have had "hooligan" bikes before and know what type of trouble i can get in..lol.... (considering speed bumps do not apply to me!hehehehe... more like small jump that i could get some air off of...lol..)

Quick Reply: anyone made a street legal CR,YZ,KX,RM?