Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Anyone familiar with duplicolors' "Paint shop" line?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone familiar with duplicolors' "Paint shop" line?

It's a laquer based and they have primer, base and clears. All premixed and ready to spray. I'm wondering how well it holds up....

Old 02-11-2011, 07:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My pic album, the F3 was done with the PS series. The clear sucks IMO. Seemed too thin. Since it's a cheaper paint, the prep becomes even more important as you can see on the tank shot.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:22 PM

How long did you roll with it? How well did it hold up?

Edit: And why do you hate me? lol

Old 02-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats what i used to paint my f2. Ive got pics in my album. It works great but the clear i didnt do right or it isnt that great. I did 3-4 coats of clear with 48hr cure time and spilled some gas on it like three days after that and it took the paint off. So i would say get another clear. Other than that though it was easy to use. That was my first time ever painting as well.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by CBRfenatic93
Thats what i used to paint my f2. Ive got pics in my album. It works great but the clear i didnt do right or it isnt that great. I did 3-4 coats of clear with 48hr cure time and spilled some gas on it like three days after that and it took the paint off. So i would say get another clear. Other than that though it was easy to use. That was my first time ever painting as well.

Hmm. Anyone know what kind of clear I should use or what fen did wrong?

Edit: or why kuro hates me?

Old 02-11-2011, 08:28 PM
Administrator - Retired

I haven't used the duplicolor stuff. I think I looked at it once, but pricewise it wasn't any cheaper than a decent urethane like 5-star or crossfire so I didn't do it.

I think I also read that it doesn't hold up well/fades. But like I said... I haven't used it.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:39 PM

I'm not worries about fading (white).

Got a link to that urethane coat D?

Old 02-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Administrator - Retired

You can get it at napa. I think a quart was like $36 last time I got some. Primer w/ activator was the same. Clear with hardener was maybe $40?
So you're looking at about $100+ to do the job.

I think the PS stuff ended up around $75 or so.

edit: stop at a napa if you have one nearby and check out the 5-star stuff. They have an xtreme hybrid primer that works well on plastic (I've used it on polyurethane a couple times). Good stuff.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:55 AM

i agree, it doesn't really cost any more to use the "real" paint versus that stuff. Its claim to fame is that there isn't any mixing and its ready to shoot out of the can. But its really not any better than their spray paint. Its never going to get hard and protect like a 2 part paint system.

As KG said, most autoparts stores will carry their own line of urathane base and clear coats. Just be careful and don't clear over the dupli-color laquer. you can clear over enamels fine, such as their spray paint though. So if you find a color you like, buy the spray paint cans and then get a urathane clear to cover that with. Or, just find a color you like in a regular base coat system. But that can get costly.

I've attached these before, but will again. This is duplicolor spray can white and black with a urathane clear over it. It was my wifes 636, and I added a rosetta red pearl into the first 2 coats of clear to give it the pearl coat, which turns the black into a purplish color, and the white into a pinkish tinted white. then just 2 more coats of regular clear. then wet sand and wheel it out. It was a cheap clear to... I think crossfire was the name of it, ( maybe autovalue's brand of clear), but you could dump gas on it and not have any worries. I didn't feel like using high dollar clear for an application that doesn't really require it.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone familiar with duplicolors' "Paint shop" line?-picture-2381.jpg   Anyone familiar with duplicolors' "Paint shop" line?-picture-2395s.jpg   Anyone familiar with duplicolors' "Paint shop" line?-111_1446s.jpg   Anyone familiar with duplicolors' "Paint shop" line?-picture-2401.jpg  
Old 02-12-2011, 12:13 PM

Awesome thanks guys. Nice work squid.

Now why won't kuro come tell us why he hates me?

Quick Reply: Anyone familiar with duplicolors' "Paint shop" line?