Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

anyone ever had this happen? sliders

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 03:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone ever had this happen? sliders

So its been almost 9 months since my bike hit the streets and like a dip sheet I have putoff frame sliders ya I know but a few people I ride with told me that they can actually catch on something when sliding and cause the bike to flip evn more. Any one experienced this?. irriguardless i am still going to get em by jan 06 cuz i think the sliders will break b 4 my bike flips and replacing sliders is alot easier than farings.

P.S the shop i went to for sliders quoted me 110$ for sliders I dont think so any brands or suggestions?

Old 12-18-2005, 04:39 AM
Retired Mod
Default RE: anyone ever had this happen? sliders

$110 is a little high for frame sliders. i dont know what brand i have, but i got them for less than half that price from www.denniskirk.com. and i would recommend against the extended ones. ive heard that they put too much stress on the mounting point and could cause damage. and the sliders are not meant to protect your plastics in a wreck (they do help with plastic damage in low-speed fallovers and standing still tipovers though). they are there to protect your frame and engine. and make sure you know the proper torque specs for the bolts. i stripped one from overtightening. that was a major pain in the ***.

Old 12-18-2005, 07:19 AM
L8X

sato? lp? or no name brands are pretty cheap and mad eof the same material.

Old 12-19-2005, 02:01 PM

Its relativeley easy to make your own too, all`s you need is a metal or woodworking lathe. The material you use is Acetol or derlin which is readily available on ebay. Just choose your size of diameter you want and away you go.

Old 12-19-2005, 04:34 PM

My vortex sliders were only like 40$ bucks. Luckily I havent tested them yet.

Old 12-19-2005, 08:31 PM

i'm in so cali too
paid $80 for my entire Shogun set (bar end + no-cut frame + swing arm)
thats one upgrade that should be standard factory equipment but isn't ...

Old 12-19-2005, 10:31 PM
Retired Administrator

Vortex here as well... I think I need to shop around more cause I paid about $60 for the setup. $20 for the base and $20 each for the pucks. I've tested them twice on simple drops (just standing). Easy to install yourself with a laser level method. Set the bike up level, use a race stand if you have one. Remove the needed plastic to mount the sliders. Aim the laser level, but make sure its level with the bike... aim the dot at the engine mount bolt. Put the plastic back on (see where this is going). Mark the red dot on the plastic and you have your center. Here's the fail safe part. Make sure you never move the bike or the laser level. Once you mark the plastic, take it back off so you can drill it with the appropriate size hole saw drill bit. IMPORTANT!!! Once you remove the plastic, make sure the dot is still on the center of the bolt, if it is, you're good to go. One more tip, measure the puck for the slider you buy... I took the tips of everyone saying 2" hole, over and over and never thought. For mine, 1 3/4 would have been perfect. It still looks good but with a little extra space.

Old 12-20-2005, 10:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would stay away from Vortex...the Honda dealer here in town said they were discontinued because the bolts would snap off instead of holding and protecting your plastic.

Old 12-21-2005, 12:27 AM
Retired Administrator

ORIGINAL: MapJr

I would stay away from Vortex...the Honda dealer here in town said they were discontinued because the bolts would snap off instead of holding and protecting your plastic.
Can anyone confirm this???? I've dropped mine twice from standing only.... no forward motion. And they work great, but I know that's different than dropping at 80mph. When I checked into buying sliders... Vortex was the brand that I had more positive feed back on. You have to watch salesmen…. If they get pissed off at a supplier for any reason, they start trashing products.

Old 12-21-2005, 10:35 AM

If you have the vortex and are worried about the bolts snapping, you could always head up to Home Depot or where ever and get a higher grade bolt.

Quick Reply: anyone ever had this happen? sliders