Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Anyone else notice these things?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else notice these things?

So... With the humidity finally relenting a little and my new CCT happily in place making my bike sound better than ever, I have had the pleasure of riding to work this week, which is of course great! BUT... I have noticed a couple things with my extra time on the road that I was just curious to see if others notice as well...

First... the guys on the road I see... Do they all automatically assume that because I am on a sport bike that I want to race them? It's like every guy I pass, for safety or simply because I am travelling slightly faster than them and don't want to ride their a$$, it's like "race on" for them. Of course not EVERY guy, but many will hit the gas as soon as I start to pass, weird! Honestly in the morning on the way TO work, I am mellow. Not in any hurry to get there so I'm not blasting down the road or anything... But apparently I must look like I want to race or something. Anyone else get that?

Second... The girls on the road I see. (keep in mind I am happily involved, so this observation doesn't really affect me personally)

Anyways, the girls... All my life I have watched girls get all doe eyed over guys on motorcycles... let me rephrase that now that I know better, over "SQUIDS" on motorcycles. T-shirts, shorts, you know the ones... And I still see it today... Yet, when I ride by and smile at someone, which is my nature. I end up getting a look a lot of the time that has an "Oh, he thinks he's so cool in his biker gear" vibe to it, they may as well roll their eyes ... I just think it's slightly ironic that I'm only trying to save my skin and not "look cool" and I get that reaction... where the squids, who really are only interested in looking cool and not being smart or safe at all, get the doe eyes... Again, not dying over it... just noticing it...

I will say, ending on a good note... Kids always have the best reactions. It always makes me smile passing by a kid walking with their dad or something and seeing them just stop and stare... I always give a little wave or thumbs up...

Reflection for the day complete... looking forward to my ride home... now THAT is a little "sportier"

Old 07-31-2013, 09:11 PM

Pretty much agree with everything above, also seems that when I'm in my textile jacket that has designs on it and jeans ill get smiles, waves, and thumbs up. But when I'm in full leathers I get mostly funny looks and frowny faces.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Good observations............and generally spot on.

We have Gubbmints (National and State) down here though that actively campaign against speeding (all vehicles) by lovely advertisements such as this;

There were complaints.

Cheers, SB

Old 07-31-2013, 09:42 PM

Ouch! to the Ad SebastionBear... Ironically, I see plenty of girls who look like that on the road here... who are not only averaging 80+ mph (in the 65 zone) but are also chatting away or texting... Yet I'M the dangerous one!

On that note, and off of this topic I know... I have to say that the sheer number of people I see texting and driving every single day, quite literally freaks me out... specially when I'm riding. I honestly believe this is more dangerous than speeding, by whole number factors...

Old 07-31-2013, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jmeekman
Ouch! to the Ad SebastionBear... Ironically, I see plenty of girls who look like that on the road here... who are not only averaging 80+ mph (in the 65 zone) but are also chatting away or texting... Yet I'M the dangerous one!

On that note, and off of this topic I know... I have to say that the sheer number of people I see texting and driving every single day, quite literally freaks me out... specially when I'm riding. I honestly believe this is more dangerous than speeding, by whole number factors...

Same here, we just had a survey conducted in South Australia where it was shown that 1 in 3 text while driving!!

One in three motorists admit to texting and drive as survey finds it as bad as drug driving | News.com.au

And they're just the ones who ADMIT it.

Eyes in the back of your head are now pre-requisite for motorcycle riders.

Cheers, SB

Old 07-31-2013, 11:00 PM

I will say, ending on a good note... Kids always have the best reactions. It always makes me smile passing by a kid walking with their dad or something and seeing them just stop and stare... I always give a little wave or thumbs up...
This happened to me on the way home today. A kid about three years old walking across the road holding his dad's hand, while I was stopped at a red light. The kid just stared at me the whole time he crossed the road. Maybe he thought I was Rossi!

Old 08-01-2013, 06:00 AM

Great example Optimus!

Not too long ago I took a ride down by the shore and stopped at a beach. Saw a grandfather and his two young grandchildren walking off the beach and thought they were just leaving or something, but it turns out they came right at me. The kids wanted to see the bike and were definitley not shy about it It was funny... but I was clear that they needed to be careful around the "shiny silver thing" (exhaust) because it's hot!

Old 08-01-2013, 07:05 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First... the guys on the road I see... Do they all automatically assume that because I am on a sport bike that I want to race them?
These things almost never happen to me. I'd say about once a month there's some hotdog who thinks he's driving a bad-*** car until I put him back in his place. Other than that things are generally just a boring commute back and forth to work.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:16 AM

Maybe it's becuase I work down on the Cape and it's summer time... Probably more than average amount of young guys out of school heading down to the beach

OR... they are simply a

PASSHOLE

February 15, 2013 Urban Word of the Day

The idiot drivers that move steadily along, but suddenly increase speed when they wake up and realize you are passing them. If they succeed in blocking your opportunity to pass, they will immediately resume the former, annoying pace. If you pass them successfully, they will ride your bumper for a short time before returning to la-la land.

"That's right you F%$&!@# passhole. Suddenly you're in a big F%$&!@# hurry!"

Gotta love urban dictionary!

Old 08-01-2013, 12:11 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

PASSHOLE

February 15, 2013 Urban Word of the Day

The idiot drivers that move steadily along, but suddenly increase speed when they wake up and realize you are passing them. If they succeed in blocking your opportunity to pass, they will immediately resume the former, annoying pace. If you pass them successfully, they will ride your bumper for a short time before returning to la-la land.

"That's right you F%$&!@# passhole. Suddenly you're in a big F%$&!@# hurry!"

Gotta love urban dictionary!

Haha, that's a new one! I like it.

I don't usually encounter anything as I ride with people. But, I do agree with your first posts, kids at stoplights are awesome. They wave, give a thumbs up, etc. It's pretty cool. But as far as other women, or "passholes" - I'm usually going too fast to notice.

And, as far as your texting and driving thing - I couldn't agree more. Way too many girls AND guys doing that.

Last edited by Conrice; 08-01-2013 at 12:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone else notice these things?