Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Any Winter riders

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 09:15 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ Jared's always riding somewhere...rain, shine, or snow! ;-)

Old 09-28-2012, 09:37 PM
Senior Member and Montana roustabout :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This will sound selfish, but it is what it is.... As bad as we need snow here to extinguish these forest fires that are ravaging our state, I hope we have a late winter, or at the very least keep the snow up in the high country...
This time of year is about the only time I ever regret leaving California... But then again I think about how much that state sucks and the regret doesn't last long

Old 09-29-2012, 12:13 AM
Banned

I did when I lived in FLorida but in RI your gonna be buried for a good part of the winter.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

shout out from the boston area.. i'll check back into this thread when snow finally falls and i start my winter upgrades..

Old 09-29-2012, 03:44 PM

I've taken the plunge into commuting on two-wheels, but I am really apprehensive about the coming winter!

The weather lately has been really wet and windy. Side winds at crossroads/junctions in the city have taken me by surprise. I was prepared for them on exposed sections of road and going over bridges, but I suppose wind gets chanelled between corridors of buildings and then cuts across. Should have been obvious really, but now I know.

The wet has been a bit hairy too. I was turning a long, banked corner and started to drift sideways! I got it back under control nice and smooth but I was kind-of pooping myself just a little bit.

Last winter was really dry, but as this is going to be my first biking winter, I'm going to forecast plenty of rain and snow. Most likely around 6:30am!

Have you thought about buying one of those cheap plastic walk-in greenhouses? I bought one for £25 from Aldi so although my girl lives outside she's protected from the worst of it.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:38 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a battery tender, and invest in a good quality, one-piece, insulated rain-suit.

Spend the bucks on decent gortex gloves, and consider getting some pull-over
rubbers for your boots. A neck scarf or bacalav is also recommended. Silk/nylon glove
liners are the bomb, too. Yeah, it'll cost a bit and is a chore getting in/out of the gear,
but if it's your day to day-24/7, you owe it to be comfortable and dry/warm.

It's also a safety issue. Hypothermia inhibits your ability to comprehend and react to
danger/conditions.

Ern

Old 09-30-2012, 02:58 AM

Yeah I've been really tempted to get some silk liners for my gloves. I've got a silk liner for my sleeping bag and it improves the heat retention by loads! Camped out in Snowdonia in -5C conditions, snug as a bug

Old 09-30-2012, 09:10 PM

Cool. I fancy some of those myself but I first need to look under some rocks for any hidden money!

Old 10-01-2012, 05:40 AM

I will be riding this winter, i wont have to every day though. I'm using an er500 to get to work on at the minute but i will have to change the tyres as in the wet they are awful, they slip and slide and do not inspire confidence at all

Old 10-01-2012, 12:57 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to ride all winter. Any more if there's moisture on the road and the temp drops below the high thirties the bike stays parked. Plastic for a 21 year old CBR is too expensive/hard to find. And my old body doesn't heal as fast as it once did.

Or maybe age brought wisdom. I dunno.

Quick Reply: Any Winter riders