Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Any vehicle engine building experts on here?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any vehicle engine building experts on here?

Got a question. I'm doing my first engine rebuild and this is gonna sound stupid. "O my god. He doesnt know what those are!" But I can tear them down and put them together and maintan them, but I've never rebuilt an engine.

I'm pieceing together what I need and I'm confused on what bearings I need for the crank. Here's the guy I'm probably gonna order from cuase I've ordered from him before and he's got good service.

http://www.store.partsdinosaur.com/page63.html

The engine is a '98 tracker 1.6 16v. He's got 3 different types of bearings listed. Rod, main, and thrust bearings. Do I need all three?

Where does each one go on the block? I'm guessing Main bearings goes at the parts where the crankshaft gets bolted to the block. The Rod bearings are for the piston rods. Where do the Thrust bearings go?

Old 10-20-2007, 07:13 PM
Default RE: Any vehicle engine building experts on here?

In your situation, the thrust bearing is better known as the "throw-out bearing", between the engine and tranny

And yes, you are correct about the other two. The crankshaft rotates inside the main bearings, and the rods rotate on the rod bearings. When you dissassemble the rotating assembly, mark ALL rod and main caps as to their orientation and order...if those get mixed up you are in a world of trouble.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:18 PM

No. The throw out bearing is a throwout bearing on this vehicle just like very manual tranny vehicle.

here's a pic off of Advance auto.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...tNumber=TW478S

Let me see if I can find a pic in the service manual.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:46 PM

Okay, sorry. Your thrust washer (not bearing, hence my confusion), will go between the main bearing and the end of the block, preventing fore/aft movement of the crankshaft--that's my super simplified summary of it. I'm not trying to come off as a dick, just don't know where your skill level is. If you need more info feel free to hit me up

Old 10-20-2007, 08:15 PM

First, you don't need to worry about any sarcastic or unneeded comments. You're doing the rebuild yourself, already you have more general knowledge then the average person.

51plymouth gave a pretty good summary of what a thrust washer is and what it does. Everytime you let the clutch out it pushes on the crankshaft and the thrust wash takes the hit. They go arounda mainbearing with the grooves facing toward the crank. The groove is how it gets oil.

Old 10-20-2007, 08:28 PM

So is it a set on each end of the crank?

Old 10-20-2007, 08:52 PM

If i'm not mistaken there are 2 sets, one on the top and one on the bottom of the center bearing. One set if for the crankshaft journal and the other for the crankshaft cap.If you only had one set you would still get a flexing motion in the crank.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:30 PM

ORIGINAL: 600f4i_blackout

If i'm not mistaken there are 2 sets, one on the top and one on the bottom of the center bearing. One set if for the crankshaft journal and the other for the crankshaft cap.If you only had one set you would still get a flexing motion in the crank.

Hopefully they wont take too long going thru it and I can go pick it up sometime this week. I wish I could have gotten the dam front crank bolt off so I could have pulled it my self.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:57 PM
RCR

Did you have your crank turned?

Old 10-21-2007, 12:00 AM

ORIGINAL: RCR

Did you have your crank turned?

Hopefully I'll know if it needs to be sometime this week.

Quick Reply: Any vehicle engine building experts on here?