Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Any thoughts on these cars?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 12:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any thoughts on these cars?

I'm currently in great consideration of swapping out my car since I don't have my sexy f4i any more to satisfy my cravings. I drive a 2010 v6 mustang (my first car) and I'm rather fed up with its underpowered AND overweight AND its ridiculously old tech suspension set up, so I'm thinking of trading it in. It also doesn't help that I cant keep up with my friends anymore on ortega/74 (they've finally learned how to drive fast!)

Don't get me wrong, I should be grateful my parents bought me such a nice car, but now that I'm starting to generate my own income and have some money left over after all my spending every month, I'd thought maybe I should upgrade my car? lol.

I'm considering the new FRS/BRZ by scion/subaru or the new improved(not aesthetically...why must my motherland create such weird designs lol) 2013 v6 gen coupe. I'm also considering a used 370z which is kind of pushing it on the budget but not impossible. Any thoughts on those 4 cars?

Old 06-28-2012, 06:46 AM

if it were my money, id get one of these
http://0.tqn.com/d/cars/1/0/T/F/2/gj_11sti_frtrt.jpg
or these
http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-conte...st_edition.jpg

i am bias to the impreza, but then again i work at a subaru plant lol

Old 06-28-2012, 10:48 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Save your money. There will be many better things to spend your "extra" money on. Do you own a house? Have you finished your education? Do you have thoughts of having your own family someday? What if your income doesn't last? Society has a problem with the mentality to spend every penny, and then some, that they have to keep up with the Jones'. People spend like it will last forever, saving nothing. I can think of worse modes of transportation than a 2010 mustang. Why are you worried so much about keeping up with them on Ortega? You can only go as fast as the gardening truck in front of you that wont use a turnout... I would have thought that having a motorcycle would have shown you that a car is just transportation for the most part.

If I bought my kid a perfectly good new car, and he got rid of it for a car to impress his friends, I'd be pretty pissed off and insulted. Maybe money comes easier to you and your parents than it does to me.

Get the car that best suits your needs, not your wants, for the next 5-6 years.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:19 AM

Buy a 2011 WRX like me and smile ear to ear everytime you hit boost. Make sure you put a full 3 inch turbo back exhaust on it as well.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:39 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

V6 mustangs suck dude, why would you consider another one? The suspension is great, not sure why you think its such "sucky old tech". A boss 302 mustang went around laguna faster then porsches, lexus LFA, all sorts of exotic high tech crap. Sure the v6 version has soft springs, tiny sway bars and weak shocks but those are all replaceable.
The new scion is as slow and weak as your v6 stang. Its a 200hp 4cyl. Yes its a lighter car but your mustang has 105hp extra to make up the weight.
Nissan 370's are better then both performance wise but nissan quality has gone down the toliet in the last 10yrs, I barely put them above mitsubishi anymore.
Wrx's are great toys but not great cars to keep forever it seems. The interiors feel cheaper then anything else out there and they like to kill #4 cylinders around 100,000 miles. Other then that though they seem to hold up good.

My opinions are based on my exsperience. I did R&D for a company that specialized in honda J series v6's for a little while and right now I am the operations manager for a high end used car dealership that also likes to buy the "lower end" performance cars like Sti's, evo's [YUCK!!!!], mustangs, camaro's etc. By lower end I only mean not BMW, porsche, ferrari [good god I love testarossas]lambo's etc.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:46 PM

Save your money and just get another bike as transportation. 3 good reasons you say? 1 they get better gas mileage than almost all cars. 2 you can get a great new bike for 1/3 of what that subi costs. 3 not only is it a "stylish" way to get to work but its a hell of a lot of fun. All joking aside some of you guys are unfortunate enough to not be able to ride 365 like us Florida boys. But if you are, all you need is a good rainsuit and halfway decent cold gear. I will be 5 years without a car in September....and I'm looking forward to the next 5.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:49 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by cbrmatt88
Save your money and just get another bike as transportation. 3 good reasons you say? 1 they get better gas mileage than almost all cars. 2 you can get a great new bike for 1/3 of what that subi costs. 3 not only is it a "stylish" way to get to work but its a hell of a lot of fun. All joking aside some of you guys are unfortunate enough to not be able to ride 365 like us Florida boys. But if you are, all you need is a good rainsuit and halfway decent cold gear. I will be 5 years without a car in September....and I'm looking forward to the next 5.
He's in California. He can ride year round if he chooses to...

Old 06-28-2012, 12:53 PM

Even better!! I ride all year round but its straight and boring. I either have to go to jennings gp or ride an hour to take 4 corners lol. If I had that kind of riding I'm not sure I would ever get off my bike. By the time I'm done with a rear tire it looks like a car tire...

Old 06-28-2012, 01:15 PM

I honestly side with Demon on that.....Kudo's to you BTW.

But if you have your heart set on one of these. The BRZ or Scion are underpowered... 200 HP??? Come on!!!! The EVO is no slouch. The 370 you can do better for the money. The STI is a great car but the WRX from 2009 to present is as fast QTR mile times,0-60. I've got a 09 and yes done a few things. The STI has brakes over me and thats it really now. For the money I saved I did the mods I wanted and got much more out of it.

Name:  020-1.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  144.3 KB

Old 06-28-2012, 03:45 PM

but really listen to Demon. Yes I told you to do what I did and I'm only 22, but I've also already got a career and a retirement started. I live at home so that helps, though I do pay rent and all of my own bills. You just gotta be smart with your money. When I bought my car I was saving around 1000 dollars a month that was going into my checking account and not being touched. I'm by no means rich but there are smart ways to manage your money, I've got more toys than I know what to do with. But it all comes down to minimzing purchases you really don't need. Like going out to eat or buying an unnecessary amount of clothes. If I were you and I had that car I'd buy another bike. I bought my car because I NEEDED a car and I figured when in my life will I have another opportunity to buy something like this and be young enough to enjoy it thoroughly. But really it's up to you. I had a thread like this too before I bought my car and a lot of people said no but I still bought it haha.

Last edited by gotcbr; 06-29-2012 at 11:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Any thoughts on these cars?