Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Any recommendations for digital cameras??

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 11:18 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Any recommendations for digital cameras??

Sadly, I think I've about given up hope on finding my beloved Sony Cybershot DSC-P200 I last had it when I was loading stuff onto my trailer when I was moving back in mid September. After the move, I cannot find it ANYWHERE! [:@] Though the memory stick is in my laptop... kinda weird. I've looked through every single box in the house, garage, in my car, ect.... not turning up anywhere and it's driving me nuts (you guys know I'm lost without my digicam, lol)

Sooo I guess that means I'm gonna have to look for another here soon (well once I get a job). Sucks cuz I really really liked that one.... super easy to use, lots of cool features, took freakin kick *** pictures (7.2 MP), and it was nice and small too, which is good for me since I usually carry it around everywhere

Anybody got any recommendations for me?? Not looking for anything huge, just a point and shoot that I can easily carry with me. For digicams I usually stick to Sony, Canon, or Nikon, but always open for others too

Watch I'll find my old one soon as I buy another... never fails! [&:]

Old 11-16-2008, 11:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Any recommendations for digital cameras??

Funny, cuz I was right about to make a very similar post. I too am looking at purchasing a nice digi camera. But dont know the slightest about them. I just know what I want it to do.

-I want to be able to take nice looking pics of cars/bikes.
-Have a nice zoom, especially for sporting events.
-And take fast pictures. Such as NASCAR. Im getting tired of the shots being so damn blurry. Or when I click the button to take it a second or so later it finally snaps and the car is gone. So I got a shot of nothing.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll go for Canon since they make their own sensor. My personal best till date is Canon Ixus860; just amazing!
Wide angle (DSLR) or compact is a personal choice. For me, unless you are a pro, a compact will do. Talking about mobility, convenience and easy to use. Since we ride, a compact will be the best bet.

Other factor will be the type of battery, screen size, resolution, anti shake and so on.

Check out this website, dpreview.com for through comparison between the models.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:00 AM
February 2009 ROTM

A DLSR is a great investment if you take pictures. You dont have to start out with a 1000 dollar one. Pick up a Canon 10d for about 300bucks on ebay. You will not be dissapointed

Old 11-17-2008, 03:54 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Samsung S1050 (10.2Mp)
Outstanding clarity and performance.
Good value and easy to use, plenty of features.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Canon Powershots are usually a pretty safe bet.

If you plan on getting a DSLR, then either Nikon or Canon. Both cameras are pretty comparable. If it is only a hobby, don`t spend the money on the high end bodies. Instead get the entry level Canon XTi or XSi (allows on screen preview) or comparable Nikon and spend money on the glass. It is said that Canons are designed by engineers where Nikons are designed by photographers. I have a Canon, because others that I work with, have Canons, so if I had to borrow a lens, I could.

If you want more information than you can handle you can go to Digital Photography Review (link)

Old 11-17-2008, 07:37 AM

I have a Canon S5 IS right now, and it takes suburb pictures. It also has a "super macro" feature which allows you to put your lens right up to the subject and get incredible close up photography. The zoom range is 12x (6.0-72mm) which will allow you to get up close to just about anything. This camera isn't good if you just want to pick up something and stick it in your shirt pocket. You're probably going to need a dedicated photography bag seeing as its around the same size as a DSLR.

Now if photography is your hobby (like it is mine) you're going to want a entry level DSLR, especially if your subject moves around a lot. I recommend a Canon XTi or XSi like Woo said. Dont bother with a 80D unless you are going to be putting it through abuse. I also recommend getting your gear from amazon.com...they have excellent deals on cameras.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:51 AM

Nikkon D40 is what I got and love it. I have friends that are professional photographers and it is their back up. Nikkon makes a really good camera and the lens are interchangable with film cameras by Nikkon. It takes quality pictures.

Quick Reply: Any recommendations for digital cameras??