Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Any musicians/ instrument builders here?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 01:24 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any musicians/ instrument builders here?

The headline tells it all, post up your pics and/or stories of your guitars/basses/drums/ whatever you play/build! I got a few guitars myself, and am building a semi-acoustic four string explorer right now, and am extremely interested to read about your projects and how you have tackeled various issues relating to builds, and how different materials will work in your builds.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got a few bits of stuff.

ESP M-100FM with EMG 81 + EMG 85 with Earnie Ball Slinky coated 8s
1996 Ibanez RG-270 with Earnie Ball Slinky coated 10s
Yamaha RBX250 with Earnie Ball coated 45s
Rogue Dreadnought Cutaway Acoustic-Electric with Acoustic Earnie Ball Slinky 12s and ivory bridge pins

Line 6 Spyder II 212 150w combo amp
Marshall MG12 10w combo amp

Old 06-29-2012, 06:21 AM

i am learning the Banjo.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:27 PM
July 2008 ROTM

I half-*** play drums. Would like to do it much more often, but I recently moved and the room they're in is HORRIBLE for sound. So until I get some acoustics in there to make an already crappy-sounding drumset at least tolerable, playing will be fairly rare. :-/

Here's the set up before I moved. I've rearranged it some since then, but same equipment.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:23 PM

Heck forgot to add a pic of the Banjo.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:04 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ibanez 12 and Gibson 6 string guitars since I was a boy.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:46 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015

A few pics of my little project, crappy pics with a crappy phone camera cause my Olympus got destroyed in a motorcycle accident a few months back, but I`d think they tell what`s relevant...

First mock up with loose parts and a fake neck, the lid is gonna be changed cause I decided to put a humbucker in it to make it semi-acoustic. Still figuring out what kind of holes to make in there, having second thoughts about the traditional F-holes... In the background: my first 2-string flying v-diddly bow.

Neck in the making, no truss rod so it`s gonna be comprised of several woods: the light slice is rosegum, the sides are mahogany, and the dark middle piece is walnut for rigidity. Glued together with Titebond.

The headstock with the top veneer stained. It has four layers of veneer: dark grey oak and flame birch on top of each other to make stripes in the side like this:

Glued the fretboard on yesterday, and added a lil´ surprise on the other side:

They`re gonna glow red when done, they were lit up with my work phone`s flashlight for the pic...

Old 07-01-2012, 08:31 PM
July 2008 ROTM

That looks time consuming and awesome. Keep us updated on that for sure.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:19 PM

Very cool

Old 07-01-2012, 11:30 PM

Well, you got that time consuming part right, basically most of the time goes to waiting for the glue to dry, took me four days to veneer, stain and sand the headstock alone... I'm taking my time with this one, it's basically a practice job to re-learn to use all the machinery I've bought, it's been about twelve years since I last made anything from wood, and these mahoganys and such ain't actually cheap round here so wouldn't want to start over too many times because of a stupid mistake... I'm gonna start making "real" guitars after I get this one done, and get the needed money for the belt sander, the bench planer and the bandsaw I still need... But all and all I'm pretty happy how that headstock came out, however a bit bummed because the fretboard moved a bit in gluing and the inlay markings don't match the optic fibres exactly, but that's exactly why I'm doing this practice job first...

Quick Reply: Any musicians/ instrument builders here?