Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Any magicians? Sleight of hand artists?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 12:35 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any magicians? Sleight of hand artists?

I used to be a bit of a magician. I just came across a ton of my old instructional books and videos and I'm trying to get rid of them.

Ideally I would like to get these to someone who is either really interested in magic or someone who already practices. If anyone here is interested, let me know.

I have a ton of stuff from very reputable card men (cards/coins were my thing). Erdnase, Paul Harris, Michael Ammar, Hugard and Braue, Gazzo, Eddie Thorp, Ross Bertram, Paul Wilson and Jason England, Tom Mullica, Lennart Green, Harry Lorayne,Sal Piacante and some Ellusionist stuff.

To someone who may be interested but not know these names...

Think David Blaine (can't stand him but he's good... at magic) is mentored by Paul Harris. Erdnase... if you don't know that name and you're in to card magic - GOOGLE IT! Criss Angel developed a lot of his strategy from Erdnases teachings. Gazzo - anyone ever seen some badass, real street-magicians working for tips? He owns them all. Lennart Green... fagedaboudit.

Anyway - kind of just trying to see if there is anyone here interested in it. It won't be free but I'm not looking to make some jack off of anyone.

I WANT MY WHEELS BACK FROM THE POWDERCOATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!! I NEED $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!

Old 02-07-2008, 06:09 AM
VP
Default RE: Any magicians? Sleight of hand artists?

I don't know any tricks or magic personally, but I think you'll like this if you haven't seen it.

Ricky Jay dealing a hand in Alaskan Poker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW9H4izfxqQ

Old 02-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Banned

Yeah I'm a big Ricky Jay fan, as well. That's agreat routine.

There's probably close to $1000 worth of magic that I've got sitting next to me. I realy, really don't want to give this stuff to, "someone on Craigslist." This is the good stuff, not yo mamma and yo pappas magic.

P.S. There is a version of Ricky Jay's routine that I do/did called Triumph. It is anDai Vernonadaptation (Ricky is close, but no Vernon). It is also included in this lot of books.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Retired Moderator

I wanted to learn how to make a coin dissapear. I bought a little magic book. The thing with slight of hand is you have to be really confident to sell the trick. Sadly, I couldn't convince myself that others wouldn't figure out what I had just done. Oh well.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:58 AM
Banned

Practice practice practice!

Do it in front of a mirror over and over and over again until you fool yourself. Learn the angles. Think about body movement (magicians move alot for a reason) and how it can help, "misdirect," your audiences attention.

Voodoo, if I was to take a guess at anyone on here, I'd say you would thouroughly enjoy magic. I'm a musician as well and it seems fitting that those who are eloquent with their hands in music can make a natural transistion to magic.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:03 AM
Retired Moderator

^^^ Yeah, I love it. I hate not knowing how things are done. I think most of us are that way, though. I can do one trick where I seem to transfer cigarette ash from the top of a person's hand to thepalm of their hand. It is all pre setup and works good in a bar (access to ashtrays). I do like seeing people getthat confused or amazed look on their face. Simple tricks are cool, though. Like I said...I've always wanted to do the classic disappearing coin.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:48 AM
Banned

Well the fundamental flaw in a simple coin vanish is that once it leaves this hand, it must be in the other! Coins are very tough to work with and require so much more practice than cards to make it look like real magic.

I can teach you a simple routine where the coin vanishes (completely empty hands can be shown), and then reappear wherever you'd like. Ideally, a spectators wallet, pocket, shoe... etc.

There is a gimmicked version and a completely sleight of hand version. Many purists, however, argue that gimmicks a lazy magician makes! As with anything, moderation is the key.

You want to learn some magic? Tell you what, I can give a trick to learn (coin vanish). You study it for a week, then I'll show you what it looks like. No watching videos of it, no cheating. Use your imgination when reading about it to try and put it together mentally.

Come on Voodoo, you know you want this magic. Whats it gonna take to get you in the magic car?