Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Any lawyers or good advice ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 09:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any lawyers or good advice ?

My girlfriend was involved in an accident a little over 2 years ago. Today she recieved in the mail a motion for judgement against her for $15,000 for permanent disability and deformity. She rearended someone at a redlight in the rain (her fault). The guys Tacoma sustained no damage and he was not taken away in an ambulance. Just wondering what is our options here, worst case scenario etc. Neither of us really know what to do and court is very soon and we just got the papers. She had liability insurance at the time.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:08 PM
Default RE: Any lawyers or good advice ?

She was a minor at the time also, if that makes any bit of difference. Doubt it but throwing it out there.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The liability insurance should cover it, the insurance company should represent themselves (their own lawyer).

Old 09-27-2008, 09:19 PM

PM the address of the people suing her so I can put my foot up their *** and THEN they will be able to claim disability. **** people and their bull****. They waited 2 years to sue?

Old 09-27-2008, 09:22 PM

Yea. 2 years. Were both a little blown away with that. Im hoping for her sake that insurance does take care of this, i thought his claim should be with them in the first place. I'm confused with the whole thing. Low speed, no injuries, only damage to her car. I don't get it either, the guys just looking for easy money i think.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:41 PM

More than likely they were advised to sue, or are looking for a quick buck. Most times their insurance company will initiate the lawsuit if the claim is filedwith them.

Liability insurance should take care of the lawsuit, as long as your g/f filed the claimwhen the accident occured. If she didn't that's why the lawsuit is directed at her, and not the insurance company. SHe should contact the insurance company ASAP and let them know of the lawsuit. If the policy has been cancelled since then, she might be SOL, and have to hire her own attorney represent her.

I'm going through the same thing right now, but my insurance company is handling everything. They contacted the other person's attorney and now all correspondence regarding the case go directly to them. I'm totally hands off.

As far as waiting 2 years, while hard to believe, the lawsuit doesn't move forward to hearing until all the medical treatment is done. That way they know how much to sue for. Basically the cost of medical treatment, medication, physical therapy, lost wages, pain and suffering etc....

From the sound of the claim the person is probably going to claim some sort of whiplash, neck, back injury.

Sorry you're going through this.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:03 PM

Some old man tried to get my mom with something like that when i was like 17...long story short he claimed she backed into him and he fell over, old man wasn't hurt at all the cops said he was lying, the case JUST now got thrown out by the INS company(state farm) and i'm 20 going on 21 now...so yea...stuff takes a while. Talk to the INS companies lawyers...should be fine

Old 09-27-2008, 10:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fuze, thats odd. when i was 17 i was involved in an accident (i was at fault) and the driver of the other car was spun backwards into a guardrail and flown out........i however, walked away w/o any injuries. i too was sued, but it was through my insurance co. why the guy would be sueing your g/f is odd.......im gonna assume its b/c she had liability......but the other parties lawyer should have advised him to sue your insurance co. instead of your g/f. just like w/ my accident, they KNEW they wouldnt get a thing from me.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:26 PM

Great news so far. Our plan is to go first thing Monday morning to Geico who she was insurred with at that time. She is currently with someone else with a different vehihcle. I don't see how that could effect anything. People switch cars and INC CO's all the time.

She's crying over this and im trying to explain to her that this is why we pay for insurance on our cars. Incase stuff like this happens. Atleast thats my understanding of why i pay insurance, because if that's not how it works then why have insurance at all.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fuze i think the two of you will be fine. like you said, you pay insurance in the event of a ...............*gasp*.....accident! thats what its for. like i said, they SHOULD be sueing her insurance co. and not her. i guess the best you can do right now is like you said, take it up w/ the insurance co. she had at the time of the accident.

Quick Reply: Any lawyers or good advice ?