Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Any business owners out there?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any business owners out there?

Anyone here own a motorcycle/customization shop? Looking at trying to start a business and wanted some pointers.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Any business owners out there?

Money, money, money, money! Money!

Old 10-23-2007, 10:08 AM

Location, Location, Location, Location! Location!

Do youhave any kind of buisnessplan set up? Cash flow, supplier pricequotes and so on?

Old 10-23-2007, 10:13 AM
Retired Moderator

Dawoonj,
Good luck, man (I am being sincere). I would love to start my own business, but it takes real courage, I think. You have to set aside your fear of failure, and that is hard to do for me. I play conservatively. Do you have capital, or investors? As a new business it may be hard to get vendors with no credit history. Anyway, keep us posted.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:18 AM

I've been working on cars, mainly, for the last 10 years. Not as a profession but as a hobby. I like my cars fast and loud (audio that is!!). I'm actually in IT (network administrator). But, why not work in a field that you absolutely love!! I would like to own a shop that works on cars and motorcycles.
So, I'm looking for a starting point. I've been involved with starting two small IT companies before. So, I got the basics down as far as capital and logistics. But not too sure on how to go about starting a shop.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:24 AM

Nice. Are you trying to start an audio installation company, or an all around shop? It's kind of funny you say that, I am also a net admin and would like to have my own shop someday.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:26 AM

I run my own business, but we provide professional services, so we don't really have suppliers, just payroll, rent, insurance, and relatively small purchases like office supplies, software, etc.

If you've already started a couple of IT ventures, you already know whether you have the stomach for it. I can't give you any advise other than to say GO FOR IT. You don't want to have to wonder "what if?" And if it fails, no big deal, you'll still be employable in your current field.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:38 AM

ORIGINAL: Munson

I run my own business, but we provide professional services, so we don't really have suppliers, just payroll, rent, insurance, and relatively small purchases like office supplies, software, etc.

If you've already started a couple of IT ventures, you already know whether you have the stomach for it. I can't give you any advise other than to say GO FOR IT. You don't want to have to wonder "what if?" And if it fails, no big deal, you'll still be employable in your current field.
+1, thats why I am still in school and work 2 jobs in IT, possible a third to come. Can always fall back to a career, just don't get yourself so far into debt you cant recover. But it does take money, to make money.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:39 AM
Retired Moderator

Another thing to consider is the economy right now. There is talk that we are entering a recession. The dollar is down vs EVERYTHING and the housing market is an indicator that we are going into a recessed economy (that has always been the case when the housing market goes in the ****ter this bad). I wonder if people will have money for "extras". If you are starting a autoshop, I would think that people always need their vehicles fixed, but if you are starting and audio/custom shop,the general publicmight be strapped for a few years. Just food for thought.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:46 AM

I think I have a location. My uncle is real big in the city here and I know he can find me some help (loopholes)!!
I just started really reading and plan on getting a business plan together.
As far audio installation, ... I've been putting together some sick systems! We do the smoke test. Exhale and watch the smoke shake!!! And not the MaryJane smoke .. that's thicker and easier to do ... My last system, I could open up my doors and still see cig smoke shake![sm=badbadbad.gif]

Quick Reply: Any business owners out there?