Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Another be careful thread...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 11:52 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another be careful thread...

So, the wife and I just went on a pretty good ride through some twisty goodness on Sunday. We ended up with about 17 riders at our final pick up point. We were running two groups, a fast group and a conservative group. I was swingman for the conservative group. We were having a blast, and meeting up at all the designated checkpoints, and all was good. At one point, I came up to a group of bikes parked by the side of the road. Apparently, one of the members of the fast group was going too fast through a turn, and bailed *** over tea kettle. There was a farmer who helped him up. Thank God he was in full gear, but he split his chin and had a mark on his forhead, and got some rash on his elbow. The farmer had just taken down the barbed wire fence the day before. I shudder to think of the alternateresult. The rider in question had been riding for years, but was on an '08 R6 which he had for six months and is making payments on still. TOTALED!!!

I guess I just want to say, we can all ride beyond our limits any day of the week. What is the payoff? A broken bone, a totalled bike, death? Don't be a hero! In my book, hero equals *******! Get home everytime you ride. We have enough obsticles without causing our own demise. Be safe out there my friends...

Old 06-25-2008, 12:00 AM
Default RE: Another be careful thread...

Very good word of caution. Ride your own ride, I myself never go above 80% what I know I can do. It doesn't mean squat to me if someone can go faster than me, what's important is going home at night and not messing up your bike.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:43 AM

Thanks Doodoo. Words well spoken. Unfortunately, it took me a fall to realize this [&:]

Old 06-25-2008, 01:20 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Excellent words voodoo :-) .. I always think "what the hell have I got to prove to anyone??" answer .. nothing!! .. I don't even have to prove anything to myself ..it's not a race track so why keep winding it up an extra 5 mph round a bend to prove I can do it?? ..yes sure I could take it fast on a track and keep looking for my limit but the same road on different days will have different degrees of slip or grip ... quite simply there's nothing to prove ..there's nothing to win ... there's a whole lot to lose though!!

Jules

Old 06-25-2008, 01:42 AM

ORIGINAL: Juliet

Excellent words voodoo :-) .. I always think "what the hell have I got to prove to anyone??" answer .. nothing!! .. I don't even have to prove anything to myself ..it's not a race track so why keep winding it up an extra 5 mph round a bend to prove I can do it?? ..yes sure I could take it fast on a track and keep looking for my limit but the same road on different days will have different degrees of slip or grip ... quite simply there's nothing to prove ..there's nothing to win ... there's a whole lot to lose though!!

Jules
Great statements Jules!

Old 06-25-2008, 02:15 AM

Very true, my friend. Take your own advice too. I'd hate for something to happen to a good egg like yourself.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:14 PM

Thanks Voodoo ! Point taken. I just got back on my moto, and feel as if I am learning to ride all over again. The other day I entered a corner too fast and blew out of my apex and into oncoming traffic. As I counter-steered back over the double yellow I caught a glimpse of a terrified automobilist having visions of Athena (my moto) and I in their lap! Now I remember how dangerous my speeding can be. I promise to be safer. Pace, Gris.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here here!!

Old 06-25-2008, 05:23 PM

And people wonder why I don't do group rides...

Old 06-25-2008, 09:02 PM

^^^ Yes. Something always happens. It's hard enough watching out for Buicks and gravel.

Early Sunday solo missions. +1

Although, I must admit, cross-country with a friend or two is very hard to beat...

...except by the RR seating position.

Quick Reply: Another be careful thread...