Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Anatomy of a wheelie

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 11:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anatomy of a wheelie

Ok, don't flame me, and please no wise *** cracks about bouncing it off the limmiter and dumping the clutch.I used to wheelie my F2 on ocassion, but on my 1Krr, I find it difficult. It seems that once I get in the RPM I want to be in, I'm already doing some good speed and don't feel safe so kinda back off. Take in mind, I don't stunt and have no desire to , but who doesn't want to wheelie time to time. So...I think I'm just being a ***** and not getting the rpms up or something, and don't want to learn first by clutching it up. So, for power wheelies, whatcha do.....10Krpms in first, back of a bit then stab the throttle? I cover the rear break and all, but when at 9-10K in first, I feel the front getting light but doesn't come up like I hear about all the time. I'm in no hurry, don't try it every day or anything, maybe soon I'll feel it just so and it will all come together, but I have nevr heard a description for the whole process of a good wheelie, like, cruise it up to 40 or so in first, and get to 10Krpm, and roll on the throttle till you feel it light, so on.....On my F2, I got it up to 10-11K and clutched it lightly and she rolled on up, but tried that with the 1K and it seemed like a beast wanting me off it's back so I backed off. Any ideas? Before it starts...I realise there is an inherent danger in such acts and I accept them, I want to be safe, but at the same time get the front up, and I balance those to desires, so I'm not gonna be out there in public squidin up the roads or anything, just want some thoughts is all from those that have been there.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Anatomy of a wheelie

dont worry about rpms, dont even look at your guages feel all that with the throttle, alot of people say cover em, i just took mine off, use clutch, if you find the wheel in the air and youre still gaining speed and having to give it more throttle to keep it up youre not at balance point, thats about all i got, nothin to specific cause im pretty sure someone will post much better info after me

Old 04-12-2007, 11:44 PM

I appreciate your thoughts and insight JZ.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:51 PM
Banned

Well, first off - your liter bike doesn't need to be anywhere near 10K RPM's to get front-light. If you're gonna power whoolie just do what you described - you'll feel your bike in the power band and it'll just feel like it's ready to launch into outer space. Back off and stab it - what you're doing is working off the preload and rebound of the forks... however it isn't safe at all. You're already WAY up in the power band and yeah, you can ride 'em for a while but you're boucing off the limiter which can cause your bike to loop, or, if it has a tip over sensor - it can mouse trap (crumble like a Jenga stack).

Clutch it up. The best advice I ever heard is not to dump the clutch, but rather stab throttle and release clutch as one. Listen to tons of videos of people doing wheelies. What you'll hear is better than anything anyone can tell you. You'll hear no revving before the wheelie - you simply hear, "weeuhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..." That's it. It's not, "wuum-wuum-weeuhhmmm" or wuuuuuuuuuuuuuUUUhhmmmmm"

Just watch, or rather, LISTEN to tons of videos of guys doing good wheelies and using the clutch. Also, let some air out of your rear and front tires. When I'm practicing a wheelie, I take my rear to about 28-30psi (from 46) and the front to about 25psi or so (from 32).

Leave those power whoolies alone - clutch it homie. I know it's tempting because you know you can get it up by powering, but you look like an *** to anyone who knows better PLUS you'll have WAAYY more control and ability to control your bike once it's up. You can stay at your speed, you can speed up - whatever (<----I'm still trying to get there!).

Good luck, be careful!

Old 04-13-2007, 12:27 AM

I get mine up to around six grand rpm in first. Let off throttle. Get back on throttle. Front end comes up. Just play around with it.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

letting air out of the front tire, interesting, explain

Old 04-13-2007, 12:45 AM
Banned

Keep from tank slapping while learning how to set the front down gently and in control.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:07 AM

Personally i started doing 1st gear power wheelies on my f4i, then i learned the clutch and that was the best thing i could have done. Once you get comfortable clutching it up you will understand why tons of people say power wheelies are alot harder to control and requires POWER lol. with my 1kRR i feel good in 2nd gear from 20mph-65mph no problem getting them up.. just cover your brake or even push on it lightly so that if you give to much throttle you will reduce your chances of looping... NO OFFENSE but with your skill and your bike, if you keep doing first gear power wheelies we might see you on here looking for replacement parts. so start slow and learn the clutch

Old 04-13-2007, 02:02 AM

All replies appreciated and well heeded, please keep them comming.

Old 04-13-2007, 02:09 AM

Okay so in stunters corner there is a video about this. The guy states more than once to learn power wheelies first before clutching them up. But everybody else is saying learn to clutch them up first. Im not good atwheelies at all on the street but in dirt Im so so. So which one is it, power or clutch?

Quick Reply: Anatomy of a wheelie