Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Almost a theft victim

Old 09-10-2009, 03:15 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Almost a theft victim

In addition to my CBR, I have an RC51. While riding the RC51 one day, I decided to meet the wifey at a local Costco for a quick lunch. Usually, there will be other bikers that will park on the concrete pad in front of the store. However, we've noticed that kids on the way inside w/ their parents, will tend to gravitate to the bikes & hop on them. I digress... So, I met wifey there to have lunch in the middle of the day during the week. It was busy as usual. We typically park closest to the store as we can. However, there weren't any spots near the front at all. So, I had to park out toward the end of the lot. After lunch, I came out to get on my RC51, & found a group of let's say, "illegals" (7 - 3 adults & 4 kids) hovering around & ON my RC!

I'm generally a calm & easy going guy but got amped up in a hurry! They didn't see me approach til I was about 10 ft from them. I yelled at them to get the hell off my bike! One of the adults actually had the brass to get in my face...for which, I quickly showed I was ready to go for it if he was. He backed down. Yet, the group wouldn't move back. Then, I discovered that one kid had been pulling the backing foam that frames out my L radiator from my lower fairing! At that point, I pulled out my cell phone & said, "we'll just let the sheriff sort this out!"

Right about this time, a van-load of more illegals showed up & pulled up directly (& I do mean directly) behind me...such that the way my RC was parked btwn the cars on either side, that the van would've completely blocked off visibility of my bike to other patrons. Apparently, the illegal that I nearly came to fisticuffs with, told the driver something & he drove off fast...I'm supposing that he'd understood the word "sheriff". They all disbursed at this point. Thankfully, nothing but fairing foam was damaged...& no altercation -or- theft occurred.

Talking to the authorities, this van-type theft has become very popular. They get a group of people w/ a van, hop out & grab up a bike, & put it in their van. As this group was illegals (no English & Mexico lic plate), there'd be very little that could be done about it (except maybe get a bike back)...even if they were apprehended. :\

So keep in mind folks, it doesn't have to be the middle of the night in an obscure garage or city street...theft can occur at anytime - anywhere. Take care.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:39 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you stopped it, terrible it happened at all. This is the exact reason I'm taking my CHL this Saturday so I can protect myself and my property. Glad they didnt attack you as that could have ended badly.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:29 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah , that could have turned real nasty real quick! Not a bad outcome all considered .

Stealing bikes with a van has been going on for years , only takes 4-5 guys to pick up a bike and put it in the back , the clever ones will even have it sign written so it looks like a bike shop is taking the bike . Any 'Q's from Jo public and 'Oh it's broken down , owners lost the key for the lock.... That's why you should always chain it to something immovable , won't guarantee anything , but makes 'em think twice.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:28 PM

*****!

Old 09-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ugh... you guys are worrying me.

The problem with chains is they aren't portable. Great for when you're at home but where do you store it on the bike when out and about? In the OP's situation, having chains at home would do little good. Same with rotor locks.

I have an alarm installed on mine with tilt & shock sensors. Guess so long as I park it someplace visible and audible, there's not much else that can be done against a pickup.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:46 PM

This is why I carry a gun. Florida is real good to gun owners about laws and what is considered 'your' territory.

What about lowjack? Is that even worth the money? If they even get it in the back of the van would that work - or would a pro pull it out nice and quick?

Old 09-10-2009, 09:00 PM

I almost lost a brand new ATV the same way..... I bought it and had it on a trailer, stopped to eat dinner and when I came back out, it was surrounded by guys with trucks parked on either side. They weren't so aggressive though, One of them made some comment about being tired and had to stop and sit on my trailer for a break..... yeah right......

Oh...... glad everything worked out with you still standing!

Old 09-10-2009, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by freakyb
What about lowjack? Is that even worth the money? If they even get it in the back of the van would that work - or would a pro pull it out nice and quick?

You figure that's what they might have been looking for?

Old 09-11-2009, 09:22 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

Doubt it. Criminals are stupid thats why they steal they can't do anything else. Lowjack has a 99% return rate of 24 hours or less after it's reported stolen. I personally know a friend who has had his GSXR600 stolen THREE times and all three times lowjack got the bike back within 10 hours of it being reported stolen.

it's worth it. not to mention lowjack will refund the cost OF the lowjack if your bike gets stolen and they dont recover it. so whats there to lose? really?

Old 09-11-2009, 09:42 AM

Maybe this is a dumb *** question - but they change the location of the install right? Just making sure that the installer would be legit and I wouldn't get jacked by a former installer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Almost a theft victim