Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Akuma helmets...worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Akuma helmets...worth it?

http://www.akumahelmets.com/Ghost%20Rider.html

I saw the Ghost Rider, and the Stealth, and fell in love, but had never heard of them before seeing an add in a stunting magazine.
Has anybody used them before?
Are they worth the price of admission?
Is $420, kind of steep, when I can get a decent HJC for $150-200?
I'd go for it, but I'd want to make sure that I'm not going for something that's all style, and no substance.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:00 PM
Default RE: Akuma helmets...worth it?

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor.../akuma-helmet/

"I personally believe that the price is too high cause south africa doesnt know where the us americans live." Miss south carolina.

Old 09-14-2007, 03:48 PM

Gay. Do you really need led's that look like afterburners and a f_cking map light? I actually can't believe a grown man would buy that thing. If it's really asolid, safe (DOT and SNELL approved)lid, get it. But I have a feeling you might hear a few snickers over the sound of the sonic boom.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:55 PM

actually they have been rated pretty high from web bike world..
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor.../akuma-helmet/
thought about getting one myself... but the only thing stopping me is I like to try on helmets before buying.
you can do a search and helmet harbor did a review on video

Old 09-14-2007, 06:48 PM

ORIGINAL: madgreek

Gay. Do you really need led's that look like afterburners and a f_cking map light? I actually can't believe a grown man would buy that thing. If it's really asolid, safe (DOT and SNELL approved)lid, get it. But I have a feeling you might hear a few snickers over the sound of the sonic boom.

I say get what you want. Don't swerve off course cause someone says its gay. If I'd listen to people on what was cool or gay. I'd be wearing ambercrombie collar shirts (popped up colla' --as the playa's would say), smeared on tan, highlighted short spiky hair with some gay tribal (ya, what tribe did you come from[sm=rolleyes.gif] ) or oriental signs on my arm that mean "sun" or "spirit", but actually mean "Dumb white people that pay for these gay tats", of course in japanese. Cuase all white people know everything about japanese culture cause they have the tat to prove it. [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Mmmmmm..........Metrosexualtastic.[sm=yeahsmile.gif] ......................... [sm=signs006.gif]

Get what you want.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:17 PM

hell yea,
Kind of pricey but a good lid, good vent and a great paint scheme

Old 09-14-2007, 09:24 PM

I'll admit the LEDs are a bit "gimmicky" although I still like them.
But forget the "afterburners" and look at the paint design; that's what'sreally got me drooling.
I love the Fighter Jet theme on the Ghost rider, but being in the AirForce the Stealth one has a special attraction as well.

I guess I'm just trying to find out how would this helmet stack up against a similarly pricedone (AGV, SHOEI etc...)

I know if I'm just looking for a bargain i can just get a $110 HJC or Fulmer (Hell a $60 Bell will offer adequate protection as long as it meets DOT + SNELL standards. I just want to know if all I'm paying extra for is the cool graphics, and a more pleasing shape, or if the Helmet (weight/noise/protection/durability wise) is on par with the premium you are paying for it.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:34 PM

I'm waiting on the Scorpion 1000. It has a built in tinted visor. I would like to get the Schuberth R1, but I believe it's gonna stay in the UK.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor.../schuberth-r1/

Old 09-15-2007, 06:18 AM

This sounds like a no-brainer, but make sure you try it on first. I know too many guys that have had to return helmets after getting an online deal b/c they didn't fit. I think that a helmet is only as good as the fit (in most cases). In other words, If you have a Shoei head, wear a Shoei. IMO, If the fit is right, there is no difference (as far as protection) in pretty much all of the standard <$500 helmets (which areSNELL and DOT approved). Apparently, these two helmets don't meet (or have not been tested for) SNELL approval. You should look into this.

As far as Akumas go, I just don't get it. I mean, I read some reviews about them, which make them sound great, but they sound contrived, like the reviewer was paid off by the company. Instead of them starting off by saying how it keeps the wind noise down, fit great,and most importantly, protected their head in a crash, I hear: "Man, those led's look so cool". It almost sounds like some of these guys are doing a commercial for the damn things.

The price difference between a lid that is a solid color and one with even simple graphics is at least $100. Even the Shoei TZ-R (which is anice helmet-probably my next) is guilty of this. I'm paying for safety, not style. I just can't find a way to justify it with two kids at home. Look, there's nothing wrong with a good looking helmet, so by all means, get what you want.

EDIT: I see the ones you're looking atmeet ECE-22.05 (european standard), which is better that the DOT rating system, but I'm unsure how itcompares to the SNELL. You should do a little digging to find out more about ECE 22.05. I seethey meet DOT also (of course).

Old 09-15-2007, 10:40 AM

They are nice... but im going to wait for the star wars look a like ones...

Quick Reply: Akuma helmets...worth it?