Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

airplane question

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 12:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: airplane question

ORIGINAL: Ty

If you push the plane forward it still moves, just the wheels are spinning faster than they normally would.
Damn, now that you mention that part, it almost makes sense. Its still really weird to think about, but youre that the plane would move forward no matter how fast the treadmill is spinning. I wouldnt even have to push that hard!

I digress from my previous statements [&:] [&o] I guess the plane would take off.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:11 PM
Banned

It would fly likea bird. The ground only serves to keep it from falling to the center of the Earth until the wings have enough lift to overcome gravity.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:31 PM

maybe this would clear it up for the pilots who are getting the question wrong.......YES the plane will go down the runway and fly off the end of it just as if it wasnt there. the wheels will spin 2x as fast as they normally would, and the engine would do nothing different than usuall, because the wheels on teh plane are free wheeling, they mean nothing.......how about this.......the planes wheels.....they are in "Neutral" if you will

if you go get your bmx bike....and put it on the treadmill, and stand beside the treadmill and walk you bike forward at 3 mph, and the treadmill is going 3 mph in reverse, so the bike is ON the treadmill, your feet are OFF the treadmill. your walking at mph, and the treadmill is in reverse at 3mph, you would be walking the bike forward at 3 mph and the bikes wheels would be free wheeling at 6mph while moving forward at the same 3mph that you are moving it.....reason being, your feet are unaffected by the treadmill, just as the jet engine is unaffected by the treadmill. and in both cases the wheels mean nothing.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Hayden06F4i

maybe this would clear it up for the pilots who are getting the question wrong.......YES the plane will go down the runway and fly off the end of it just as if it wasnt there. the wheels will spin 2x as fast as they normally would
ORIGIONAL: outsider8

The conveyer belt is designed to exactly match the speed of the wheels at any given time

so... wait... what?

Old 01-25-2008, 07:03 PM

its not just a matter of Bernoullis theorem ther is also this little
known individual known as Newton, there are Newtons 3 laws
the #3 being "for every action there is an equal an opposite reaction."
action being thepropellor creating thrust reaction plane moving foward.
the treadmill is not a factor, the wheels are free spinning so the plane
will move foward generating lift.
CFII 2823669

Old 01-25-2008, 07:35 PM

can we just get a difinitave answer on this one? from a reliable source.. like wikipedia.. lol

Old 01-25-2008, 07:44 PM

ORIGINAL: FLYOU

ORIGINAL: Hayden06F4i

maybe this would clear it up for the pilots who are getting the question wrong.......YES the plane will go down the runway and fly off the end of it just as if it wasnt there. the wheels will spin 2x as fast as they normally would
ORIGIONAL: outsider8

The conveyer belt is designed to exactly match the speed of the wheels at any given time

so... wait... what?

you guys gotta realize the "wheels" are not connected to any sort of drive shart or chain or anything, they are free wheeling.....picture this......youve got something sitting on a tablecloth, and you pull the table cloth out from under the bike, car, whatever in Neutral. the wheels will just spin, but it wont fly backwards at whatever mph because the wheels are FREE SPINNING.

even if the treadmill was going backwards at 10x the amount of thrust needed to fly away, the plane would still fly away because the thrust would move the plane forward at the normal speed. the treadmill is immaterial.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:26 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ugh... This thread has been posted on nearly every forum I post on. Every time I can't believe how long it goes on for, and it turns into a huge argument everytime. It's common sense people... of course the plane will take off. Why wouldn't it?? There's nothing holding it back. It's simple physics... all you gotta do it think about it for a few minutes, and think about exactly what goes on when you hit the throttles on an airplane.

Those that think it won't take off... plain and simple, you're wrong, and need to brush up of your physics skillz. Just think about it for a little bit. If you still don't get it I don't know what to tell you. This isn't difficult at all to understand..... it's sooooo easy and the answer is clear as day, but still everybody thinks otherwise [&:]

I don't have cable... did mythbusters do this one yet so we can bury this subject already??

Old 01-25-2008, 09:53 PM

ok so i found this video showing that it doesn't matter how fast the treadmill goes, the airplane will still take off...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EopVDgSPAk

i'll be dammed...

ORIGIONAL: FLYOU

Hell i'll make it even more simple. Say your running on your treadmill.

Is the wind in your eyes?
I guess I didn't think about the fact that because the wind isn't in your eyes, the engines will feel static air pressure...

i fail.

FLYOU
Multi-Engine Instrument Flight Instructor / Airline Transport Pilot Cirtificate #2830087

Old 01-25-2008, 10:21 PM

ORIGINAL: FLYOU

ok so i found this video showing that it doesn't matter how fast the treadmill goes, the airplane will still take off...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EopVDgSPAk

i'll be dammed...

ORIGIONAL: FLYOU

Hell i'll make it even more simple. Say your running on your treadmill.

Is the wind in your eyes?
I guess I didn't think about the fact that because the wind isn't in your eyes, the engines will feel static air pressure...

i fail.

FLYOU
Multi-Engine Instrument Flight Instructor / Airline Transport Pilot Cirtificate #2830087
Ah yes, outdo me with ratings to make me look stupid then be wrong.
At least you're man enough to admit when you're been mistaken, unlike some...

Quick Reply: airplane question