Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

airplane question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 09:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: airplane question

Aight guys heres ya answer yes it will fly already been proven. Try the AV-8B Harrier

Old 07-02-2007, 10:10 PM

I agreewith Fish. Also the use of flaps causes an even greater force. Flaps extended and down for lift. Flaps extended and up for braking andpushing down onthe wings,causing the aircraft to drop altitude, orif landing, push it down onto the tarmackkeeping it on the runway and slowing it down, (as well as reversing the turbines). The wheels are just idlers used for steering and ease of movement.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:13 PM

ORIGINAL: bboi

Aight guys heres ya answer yes it will fly already been proven. Try the AV-8B Harrier
I thought the Harrier used rotational turbinescreating vertical force for lift.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:22 PM

yea they do but dont they take off (forward from the floating position)?

Old 07-02-2007, 10:25 PM

I mean seperate turbines for creating vertical thrust. As well as the fusalage turbines for forward momentum.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:27 PM

Oh I thought the same turbines are used just rotate. something like the osprey but with jets

Old 07-02-2007, 10:31 PM

OK... here it is...

The AV-8 Harrier is a vectored thrust V/STOL. I actually got to see a Harrier in the flesh for a flight demo at the 1978 Confederate Air force Air Show in Harlingen, Texas. It came screaming across the sky, slowed suddenly, hovered, rotated, scooted backwards along the flightline, then sidled sideways and landed. It was incredible to see. All this was possible due to the vectored thrust model used for the Harrier. The Harrier's big Rolls Royce Pegasus engine pumps its exhaust through four nozzles that can be rotated through ninety degrees, allowing the Harrier to launch either vertically, or conventinally, or, with the nozzles at an angle, off of a sloping ramp. Once airborne, the pilot can change the angle of the nozzles to fly as a cponventional aircraft, or to hover, or, as demonstrated in the Falklands War, to aid manuevers. The only fly in the ointment is the fuel costs of vertical takeoffs, and the inability of the aircraft to sustain supersonic flight. So the fighter works primarily as ground support, and the supersonic F/A-18 takes the interceptor role for the most part.

This is from this website:

http://www.quibbles-n-bits.com/archives/engineering/

You are correct...One engine...But...four different nozzles.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:36 PM

So its is the same turbines just seperate nozzles rotating. You know Ive carried the maint. crews and some back up pilots for the Harrier sqdrens around the world...twice lol And never thought to ask about them

Old 07-02-2007, 10:39 PM

Really cool stuff. But useless knowledge none-the less...lol.

Cool job! What do you do?

Old 07-02-2007, 10:40 PM

C17 loadmaster. gotta be the best job in the force, well atleast for me lol

Quick Reply: airplane question