Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Advise on going military.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:33 AM
Cro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advise on going military.

I am finishing my my degree at the end of the following semester. I plan on doing Army OCS. I can go into basic and have a perfect score on my PT.

I am hoping to make sniper school. Any advise on the path to follow and any pre-training??

Old 11-25-2008, 12:48 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Advise on going military.

Send PM's to Hardcorp and Shocktroop, also SpiritRR.
They'll be best placed to advise you on a US Military career.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:46 AM

I don't know anything about the military. But i once seen a show on sniper school on the discovery channel. According to the show they only seem to pick the best from each unit to try out. When I was in school, and took the army test. The recruiter told me if i sighned a 7 year contract they would make me a sniper. Now I realise it was just a trick to try to get me to sighn up for 7 years instead of 2.
Maybe you should take the test they have on the Army website, to help you choose the right career for you in it.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:01 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Shadow

Send PM's to Hardcorp and Shocktroop, also SpiritRR.
They'll be best placed to advise you on a US Military career.
doogstar too..

Old 11-25-2008, 05:14 AM
Retired Super Moderator

If you're wanting to get into sniper school as an officer, then your best bet is to branch Infantry. You wont BE a sniper, but you'll be sniper qualified. I highly suggest you look into all that is involved with being an officer before you make any decisions-you're in the army to lead, and many times this will prevent you from doing specific line jobs (such as a designated sniper) that you may feel that you want to do. PM me if you have any questions about either side of the house, enlisted or commissioned.

-Adam
1LT, US Army Aviation

Old 11-25-2008, 07:17 AM

I was not in the Army but I was in the Air Force so I have some idea what the life style is like.

SSgt Justin Carlton (seperated)

Old 11-25-2008, 12:03 PM

U want to know what snipper school is about and what they do? Go wo www.liveleak.com and search snipper and watch the snipper school vids they are awesome. Good luck

Old 11-25-2008, 12:16 PM
Friend and Hero ...

ORIGINAL: isolated1523

If you're wanting to get into sniper school as an officer, then your best bet is to branch Infantry. You wont BE a sniper, but you'll be sniper qualified. I highly suggest you look into all that is involved with being an officer before you make any decisions-you're in the army to lead, and many times this will prevent you from doing specific line jobs (such as a designated sniper) that you may feel that you want to do. PM me if you have any questions about either side of the house, enlisted or commissioned.

-Adam
1LT, US Army Aviation
You will never get any sounder advice then froma man who is walking a similar path if it was me I would be taking Adam up on his offer.... sniper school has a high washout rate not for lack of good shots but for lack of stealthness as far as leading men I can only speak to you from the Marine Corps NCO side of the House it is a hard and difficult job you really never do what you want when itcomes right down to it. You do what is necessary sometimes It goes against what you think should be done. I was given a good piece of advice way back and this is the way things should be but not necessarily the way they are.. sh"t should go up the chain of command and effective change should come down.. finding those with the inner strength to stand their ground on this issue is a hard pressed thing and this is one third of what makes up the best officers and NCOs in the world
I think you should sit down and really decide which direction you want to travel in there is nothing like wanting your cake and eating it too but you'll often find that the cake is little molded unless the proper preparation has been taken regardless of which direction you go in remember this it is a hell of a lot less glamorous than anything you've read and requires a hell of a lot more work than anything you have tackled up to this point in your life good luck with whatever your decision is
Adam are you with the 160th at Fort Campbell

also seriously suggest you PM F3 he is the only one with that MOS I know of around here and was considering going green and gold may provide some serious insight into the issue for you

Old 11-25-2008, 12:16 PM

Navy *** here, Im kinda confused as to why you are making this thread as it seems that you have already made up your mind about going army officer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advise on going military.