Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Advice for a new TV

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 09:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for a new TV

So I've decided to invest my extra paycheck in February and my tax return and some more money into purchasing a new TV. I still live with my parents so for the time being it's going in my room.

I've decided I want to go LCD and not Plasma. I originally wanted a 42" but now I want bigger. A 46" will look REALLY silly in my room and I'll have to remodel a bit in here but it will fit. I figure when I move out I'll want bigger than 42" for my living room anyway. I'm looking at a few models and I'm curious if anyone has bought one of these or has any input on this matter at all.

I'm looking at the Toshiba 42LX177 and 46LX177 as well as the Samsung LNT4071 and Samsung LNT4671. Both of these TVs are 1080p with 120hz refresh and they look FREAKING AMAZING with a blue ray movie. The only difference is size. Toshiba makes it in 42" then 46" and Samsung makes it only in 40" and then 46".

Any input or advice is welcomed!!!!

Thanks

Mike

Old 01-27-2008, 09:47 PM
Default RE: Advice for a new TV

I have a 40" LCD TV....there is absolutely no glare in it...its the best picture ever! its a Samsung 1080i....amazing man, simply amazing!

Old 01-27-2008, 09:51 PM

How aboot you put the money towards a place.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:02 PM

ORIGINAL: rangerscott

How aboot you put the money towards a place.

hahahahahaha No I have to buy ALL my toys BEFORE I move out otherwise I won't be able to afford them because I'll be paying rent. Living at home really isn't bad I don't see why people give me crap about it. A lot of my friends get pissy with me and say things like "yea you don't have any REAL bills why don't you just live at home til you're 40!" I think they're just jealous because their parents wanted them out at 18 and I can go out when I want do what I want and buy what I want because I don't have "REAL bills" like they do. Well guess what biznatches I have a better TV than you, a motorcycle, a better home stereo, and I can go out whenever I want and don't have to give the excuse "I don't have any money I can't do anything" so HA! Atleast that's what I tell them.

All I have to do is help out with shoveling some snow, maybe stack dishes in a dishwasher once or twice a month and that's it. I've got it good, almost too good. No way I'm going to complain about living at home I love it. Although it would be nice to have just a bunch of friends over to hang out or watch a movie, but I don't have a TV yet and we can just go to their places and watch on their crappy 19" TVs. lol

I'm planning on moving out this year sometime if I can get my credit cards all paid off. My goal is to get the toys to furnish my place then move. Hopefully I'll be getting a promotion at work when our new branch opens up and a little raise in pay too! =)

Ok back to talking about the actual subject of the thread instead of my living situation.....

The samsung has a glare on it that I've read other people have complained about too because it has a glossy plastic finish piece over the screen. Usually only the plasmas have the glare, because they're glass covers, but for some silly reason Samsung put that dumb finish on.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:37 PM

I'm getting the Toshiba 42" for my new apartment (moving out of my parents house in April lol), looks great and I'm getting a damn good deal on it
I almost went with a 50" Samsung DLP just because of the size screen you get for the money but it was only a 720 and I read you have to replace the lamp in it once a year

so your gonna buy an expensive TV with some extra money coming in and THEN save up to pay off credit card debt so that you can move out of your parents house? Seems like paying credit card debt should come before buying expensive toys to impress your friends...

Old 01-27-2008, 11:05 PM

http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/- Really great site that ranks the best LCD tv's and full of info

Old 01-28-2008, 01:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's expensive, but in my experience LG makes the BEST products, no matter what they make, from cell phones to dryers, you can look up anything and LG makes the best, including TV's.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:33 AM

Go with the Samsung if you have decided between those 2 companies. I have a Samsung DLP 1080p and it's wonderful never had a problem with it. Plus i've heard of good things from the samsung lcd line.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:42 AM

ORIGINAL: Blank
LG makes the best, including TV's.
Dude IMO LG makes the worst tv's, There picture quality is the worst.
Samsung is the way to go, I forgot what model it is butthey have a model with a 160hz refresh rate. My buddy just bought it and it look'samazing. I will tryto ask him the model number today.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:27 AM

Go with the samsung, my buddy just bought the 46' 1080p with 20000 to 1... Its absolutely amazing. I heard they make the best tvs out

Quick Reply: Advice for a new TV