Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

advice from a Mechanic for a Truck needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice from a Mechanic for a Truck needed

Hello everyone. I recently bought a 2000 Chevy Silverado 2500 6.0 4x4. Everything and I mean everything has been upgraded or is new. (engine, transmission, t-case, etc...)

I have 2004 3/4 ton axles made by sterling under the truck which are Ford(I did not do this, previous owner did). Now here is the problem I need to get this thing smogged and the check engine light is on because of the ABS that is in the truck, well there is no ABS on the axles. Is there are a way to disable this, wire something to get the check engine light to go off? If there is a check engine light on it is a instance smog failure here in NV.

Not only is it the check engine, but the brake light is on all the time as well. I might be trading this bad boy for a 1999 Mercedes and need this to work. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by bammerman; 07-08-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:03 PM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

Originally Posted by bammerman
Hello everyone. I recently bought a 2000 Chevy Silverado 2500 6.0 4x4. Everything and I mean everything has been upgraded or is new. (engine, transmission, t-case, etc...)

I have 2004 3/4 ton axles made by sterling under the truck which are Ford(I did not do this, previous owner did). Now here is the problem I need to get this thing smogged and the check engine light is on because of the ABS that is in the truck, well there is no ABS on the axles. Is there are a way to disable this, wire something to get the check engine light to go off? If there is a check engine light on it is a instance smog failure here in NV.

Not only is it the check engine, but the brake light is on all the time as well. I might be trading this bad boy for a 1999 Mercedes and need this to work. Anyone have any ideas?
lol pull the cluster bulb?

also a shop should have the programmer to remove the check engine

Old 07-08-2010, 02:11 PM

My buddy is a mechanic and has no clue how to do it. I thought about the cluster thing but doesnt help smog issue

Old 07-08-2010, 02:26 PM

Have you had ur codes read? u can go to autozone/ advanced auto and they can read and delete them. As far as ur abs, i would look at the rear axle for lose wires or sensors that could be ziptied or somethin to a brake line. If the next axle didnt use the sensors and the factory one did then it should be somethin there. I dont know on the smog, never had to worry bout that. as far as ur brake light, that is tied in wit ur abs sensors which is probably causin both lights to go off. if u find those sensors u can probably jump them. before you start removin bulbs get ur codes read and search for rear abs sensors.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:06 PM

Yeah the codes are because of the abs. I can do the manual clear with the key trick but it comes back after awhile. I am not sure if the ford F-250 axles even have abs on them. I will have to look and research those axles more.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:21 PM

i think you have 2 separate problems here, a brake fault and an engine fault. a brake fault should not cause your engine light to come on, they are 2 diffrent systems. get to an autozone and have them print the engine code and let us know what the engine code is, get that fixed and you should pass the smog test. the abs/brake light should not effect your passing of the test.
edit: and removing your bulbs wont work, as soon as they hook up to the ecm and see that the MIL light is commanded "ON" they will fail you even though the light doesnt show up in the dash

Old 07-08-2010, 03:27 PM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

Originally Posted by bryanf4i
edit: and removing your bulbs wont work, as soon as they hook up to the ecm and see that the MIL light is commanded "ON" they will fail you even though the light doesnt show up in the dash
i was talking about the abs light... and on the basis of if he is trying to get rid of it...

he would just have to explain to the buyer he pulled the light bc nothing is wrong and its annoying...

Old 07-08-2010, 03:32 PM

I will run to autozone and see what codes it is. There looks to be an ABS thing on the pumpkin of the axle now to figure out how to wire mine to a ford one. All I know when I do the manual key it removes all lights until the system see's there is no ABS hooked up. I just want to trick the system into thinking it is hooked up or remove the ABS crap all together to get rid of the light. I would think there is a fuse in the system that disables the ABS and makes everything "check engine light" not turn on when it is disabled. Why this guy put Ford axles under a chevy is beyond me. He did the same with the seats. So it looks like there are power/heated seats but they are not hooked up either.

Attached Thumbnails advice from a Mechanic for a Truck needed-imag0155.jpg  
Old 07-08-2010, 07:23 PM

Get someone that does programming with the HP tunner and cancel the rear abs or incorporate it into the rear end. Johnnyh

Old 07-08-2010, 11:55 PM

abs shouldn't have anything to do with your ce light. 2 separate problems.

Quick Reply: advice from a Mechanic for a Truck needed