Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Add me to the list!!!! Went down pretty hard.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 11:01 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Add me to the list!!!! Went down pretty hard.

Well it happened. Weather was close to perfect today. Took the bike out for a spin to finish scrubbing in the new rear tire. Everything was good, was able to get rid of those dreaded chicken stripes. Then it happened!

Started entering a 20mph corner, and a gravel patch covered almost the entire width of my lane. Lost the rear for a bit, was able to pull out and ran out of road. Got into the loose stuff that is always covering the shoulder and bam. The bottom fell out! Bike hit the gaurd rail at about 40-45mph. I slid off of the bike another 10-15yds and was able to use the gaurd rail and post as a stopping point. Wedged my bike and myself under the gaurd rail.

Instantly wiggled my way out from under the rail and felt a pain in my left shoulder. Tried pulling the bike out, but it was wedged and I had no strength in my left shoulder. Then a two guys in a van stop to help. These were two of the coolist guy's I have met in a while. Two old school bikers. The type I grew up with. They instanly look me over and help get the bike back upright. Then one of them says, "The cops around here are complete asshats. I was following you and saw the deer that jumped out in front of you. You had nowhere to go." Luckily no cops showed up.

Brushed myselfoff after the intense adrenaline dump and limped the bike to the nearest gas station. Forks were obviously bent but everything else works. Called a friend and loaded the bike and brought it home.

No scratches, just bumps and bruises. Not sure about the shoulder yet. Moves and functions, but hurts like hell. It looks like it is aboutan inch lower than the other. lol....

Helmet, leather jacket, gloves,A*s-mx boots, andheavydenim riding jeans all did their jobs!!!!!

Name:  000_0385.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  92.2 KB
Name:  000_0386.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  96.8 KB
Name:  000_0387.jpg
Size:  96.2 KB
Name:  000_0388.jpg
Size:  99.2 KB
Name:  000_0389.jpg
Size:  81.8 KB
Name:  000_0390.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  80.1 KB
Name:  000_0391.jpg
Size:  95.2 KB
Name:  000_0392.jpg
Size:  77.2 KB
Name:  000_0393.jpg
Size:  76.1 KB

This accident was completely my fault. I should have surveyed the road before getting after it like I was. I have taken this road many times in the past. Never seen any gravel like this before. This is what happens when you get complacent and to comfortable. I now have a fu*cked up shoulder and a work load that will only get heavier. Working for yourself does not leave you with much options when thing like this come up.

Sorry to have to be the one starting another one of these threads!

Old 03-24-2008, 11:05 PM
Default RE: Add me to the list!!!! Went down pretty hard.

Its the helmet!!!!

That sucks man. Hows the shoulder though??? With a guardrail, couldve been a lot worse. Glad your ok. Bike can be fixed though, or insurance claim.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:08 PM
Banned

Jesus christ man...

As a trained accident worker, I can tell you that you survived one of the most deadly of obstacles for a downed rider... the guardrail. It has killed many more riders than it has ever saved.

Glad you're okay, get better and take notes.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:11 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

I know its been said 1000 times but i dont really know what else to say, the bike can be fixed, glad you made it out ok though.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:20 PM

I'm really glad you're still here. You wore your gear and have an experience to share with us. I'm really sorry this happened to your new bike. [:@] Get her fixed and get back up.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:41 PM

damn dude.. glad your OK..so since you didnt report it..do you have to pay outa your pocket to fix it?? thats what im doing, and it blows, good luck..heal up fast..(love the helmet by the way) thats the one i wanna get, i have the tough luck racing bunny patch on my jacket(since i seem to slide/wreck alot)

Old 03-25-2008, 12:21 AM

Damn D, Sorry to hear this! ... onlya few days after mine. Sorry your forks got it too ... Are you going with insurance if you dont mine me asking?

Ahh guardrail.. wow! ... glad you were able to walk away from that. As for the left shoulder... do you want to borrow my sling . I thought mine was broken..but turns out its only muscles. If you can move yours, im thinking the same thing.

Heal up quick and get your baby on the road. I hope you can use this as a learning experience like I have.

Again, it does suck to see active members post these kind of thread.... but then again..its also nice to see they walked away.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:24 AM

5 series bimmer? What motor? If it's not an M5..... [8D]

Old 03-25-2008, 12:26 AM

ORIGINAL: sixhundredrr

Name:  jpg.jpg
Size:  1.4 KB huh?

Old 03-25-2008, 12:28 AM

ORIGINAL: D2DGraphix_600RR

ORIGINAL: sixhundredrr

huh?

Look at what the jacket is sitting on... it's German... and I'm German... thus, my interest.

Quick Reply: Add me to the list!!!! Went down pretty hard.